Chapter 1- The Party Aka, The Competition

Chapter 1

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

All along, I knew that I would be invited. All along I knew it wasn't just a party for the rappers, it was a competition.

Hoodie Allen, a legendary badass rapper loved competitions. I'd never met him before, but living in New York City, you knew that he did this type of thing. Hoodie was known for hosting these huge computational parties between the rappers and what we like to call our selves, the "pianos". My whole family played pianos, and my great great grandmother made sure it was a tradition.

I particularly didn't like to play pieces, so I played songs. And my family just accepted that at least I played piano.

The party was tomorrow night. And my parents had given me a huge scolding on how I must learn a new song. I didn't exactly have those words in my head at the time. So I was out to surprise everyone. I wrote my own song, going against my parents wishes. And just decided to see how everyone liked it.

After conducting the chorus and how I was to end the song. I listened to a hoodie Allen song, "Movie". Only did I know, my parents were right down the hall. I could hear my fathers heavy footsteps gravitate into our wooded floor boards. I slammed the off button on my iPhone, just in time to say, "Come in!" To my dad, when he knocked on the door.

"Hey, have you learned your new song yet?" he asked, and I thanked god in my mind he didn't hear the music. He would've killed me.

"Uh, yeah." I said, nervousness in my voice.

"Good job Dena." He said like a teacher. He shut the door and I scoffed at his remark. He was so fake.

I turned back to my phone and started texting Cassie, one of my best friends.

Me- hey, r u going to HA party?

Cassie- yeah! U?

Me-duhhhh! So excited. I've never met him b4

Cassie-same. It's gonna be so fun! I gtg, see ya then.

Me-see ya.

So freaking excited. I felt like it was going to take forever for the party to start.

All night long, I woke up every five minutes and then couldn't I to sleep until a few minutes later. It felt like twenty five minutes of sleep until my mom walked in and said, "Honey, it's time to wake up." and I sat up, surprised as can be.

I got up and put on a sweatshirt and a sweatpants, it was one of those mornings. The party wasn't till 8:00, so I had some time to kill. I walked over to my piano, practicing going through 'Magic' a couple times, rehearsing the first and last couple of chords.

I heard another knock on the door, "Come in!" I shouted, as I looked behind me at the door to see who it was. My mom creaked the door opened just wide enough to squeeze her head through.

"The Garthers are coming over." She said, a weird look on her face.

"Okay." I said and she shut the door. The Garthers were Cassie's family. Her parents were good friends with my parents. They were apart of the pianos too. Though Cassie was the only one who knew about my secret love for rap, she didn't tell anyone, including her parents.

Cassie didn't like rap music, though she respected me for being who I am, but at the same time respecting my parents wishes, she didn't shun me for liking something I shouldn't.

About fifteen minutes after seeing my mom and practicing, I heard our door bell ring and the door opening, welcoming Cassie's family inside. All I heard was Cassie's mom and dad talking to my parents and then I heard quick paced footsteps up the wooden stairs and a clamor or the door handle of my room.

"Hey." I said, looking back at Cassie, shutting the door.

"Hi" she said, I returned back to the piano, playing a couple of Hoodie Allen songs.

There was a couple seconds of silence. "My parents are being so annoying." she said. I looked over at her, giving her that 'ikr' look.

"Guess what?" I said, moving my hips side to side, excited to tell her my ultimate surprise for the party.

"What'd you doooo?" Cassie said, wanting to see what trouble I got myself into.

"You know how my parents always make me perform at like parties and stuff?"

"Yeah." she said.

"Well instead of performing some Mozart symphony stuff, I made my own song..." I said in a weird voice.

"Are you serious?! Lemme hear!" she said eagerly.

I played the song, not shy since I'm used to singing in front of people, thanks to my parents.

She gave my a little applause, causing me to smile.

"That's good!" she said.

"Thankya, that's what I was aiming for." I said, in a non-cocky tone.

"So you're seriously following through with this plan?" she asked.

"I hope so." I responded.

"Well, you have my approval of this total parent wipe out." She said, grin on her face.

We talked until it was time to go, my dad yelling up at us, door closed and all, and we grabbed our bags and got in the car, literally laughing the whole way there, I tried not to think about the party, the song and Hoodie.