Mysterious Girl

The air was cold. The proxy folded up the collar of his orange jacket and leaned against the brick wall of the building, waiting for the girl to walk by. He kept his eyes on the ground as she strolled by, and looked back up at her when she had walked past.

She was a pretty girl, with pale skin, bright green eyes, and long, dark brown hair that she wore tied up. She wore a dazed, distant expression on her face, and smudges of something dark on her hands.

He followed her for a short distance, making sure to avoid the light so that she wouldn't detect him. She suddenly stopped by the gate of the cemetery, peered into it for a second, and then opened the gate and walked in. The proxy slipped in silently through the gate before it closed.

He followed the girl through the cemetery, ducking behind gravestones and lurking in the shadows, trying to keep his eyes on her. He watched as she stopped in front of a grave under a cherry tree, and started talking to herself. He wasn't close enough to hear what she was saying.

The proxy crouched behind a gravestone, and peered around it as he watched the girl continue to talk to herself--or rather, to the person buried there. She suddenly started to cry. He watched her and felt a tiny pang of sympathy for her, and thought about how strange this girl was.

He first saw her a few days before, when his master was hunting at the park. The girl was there, sitting with two other people that seemed to be around her age. She was talking to the other people--laughing and smiling--when she looked up to see his master standing by the edge of the forest, stalking a child. The proxy could still remember how her smile immediately disappeared from her face and how she said something to the others, keeping her eyes on his master while pointing in his direction. The confused looks on the others' faces told the proxy that they couldn't see him. It was odd. That girl shouldn't have been able to see him either, because he was using his invisibility powers so that only a select few could see him. But she saw him, nonetheless.

And then he saw her again earlier that night. He had accompanied his master while he went hunting for a small boy, and the girl exited the house to throw away some rubbish. As she started to walk back in, she suddenly stopped, turned, and looked at his master again seconds before he teleported away.

He confronted his master about the girl later, and he agreed that it was odd that this girl could see him. They agreed that they would have to keep an eye on her for future reference.

His master wasn't with him now because he had some business to attend to in the Lower World. He had asked the proxy before he left to follow the girl home and take note on where she lived.

As the proxy had been following her home, there were instances when he would get the chance to get close to her. Whenever he did, he would sense something strange about her. It was an odd sensation that spread and twisted throughout his midsection. It made him feel like this girl was...dangerous. Like he should fear and avoid her for some reason. This feeling only intrigued him, especially now as he watched her cry over a loved one buried beneath the cherry tree. He would have to ask his master about those feelings later on.

She finally stopped crying and left the cemetery, with the proxy trailing right behind her.

He followed her for a few more blocks and she finally reached a small house in a crowded neighborhood. He noticed the front yard, green and lush with a large flower bed near the front door. The flower bed was packed tight and over-flowing with flowers of many different shapes and colors. Lights from inside the house flooded out into the world from the windows.

The proxy crouched behind a shrub and watched the girl walk in, taking mental notes on the location and what the house looked like.

He thought about what the girl looked like. She looked young, and judging by the back pack with little badges and things stamped all over it she had slung over her shoulder, she was a student somewhere. He thought about trying to follow her again sometime to see where she studied, but decided that his master may want to do that himself, whenever he got back from the Lower World.

The proxy began to walk back to his hiding place in the mine, and as he did so, he wondered what his master could be doing in the Lower World. Perhaps he was paying his brothers a visit. He wondered if Amarus had gotten himself into trouble again.

As he continued to make his way to the mine, he felt an all too familiar catch in his throat.

He suddenly erupted into a fierce coughing fit, hugging his stomach and leaning forward. His vision swirled and his sides ached as he hacked ferociously. His stomach lurched and blood spewed from his mouth and splattered onto the sidewalk. He tried desperately to gasp for a breath while reaching a quivering hand into his jacket pocket, grasping a small bottle of pills.

He eased himself back into an upright position, blood trickling out if the corner of his mouth, and swallowed two of the pills.

He stood still for a few moments, his legs quivering, while he waited for the pain in his stomach and for the coughing fit to cease. He slipped the pill bottle back into his pocket, the last four or five rattling around in the plastic bottle. He would have go get more soon.

He swiped his arm across his mouth, wiping the blood from his lips onto his jacket sleeve. He stuffed his hands into his pockets and hunched his shoulders, continuing on his way, legs shaking underneath his weight the whole way home.

************

So, this chapter took forever for me to write for some reason. Sorry about that, guys.

Thank you all so much for your support. If you really like this story, then please share it with a friend. It would mean a lot to me.

Also, if you guys would like for me to add a pronunciation guide for the foreign sounding names and phrases and such, let me know and I will be sure to add it in somewhere.