Chapter Twenty-Three - History

The journey to Twinstones passed in the time that Kal and his father had expected, though to Kal each hour felt interminable. His concern for Wren grew with every passing moment. He tried to convince himself that she would at least be treated well enough, given her value, but he found no comfort in thinking of her 'worth.' She was irreplaceable, priceless.

Kal and his father led the horses through the city—it was forbidden to ride in the streets. They stopped in front of an inn.

"I'll secure lodgings for us," his father said.

Kal nodded. "And I'll find my friend," he said. "If he's here, we'll leave right away."

His father embraced him. "Be safe, son."

"I'll see you soon, Da."

Kal headed for the harbor, hurrying through the cobbled streets until he reached the seaside. Several ships were moored there, but he was still too far to recognise any of them. A burly dock worker stepped in front of him as he made for the piers.

"No trespassing."

"The Zanabaq," Kal said. "Is she docked here? I have business with her captain."

The man shrugged. "Dunno, lad."

But Kal wasn't listening—he had already spotted a familiar figure farther down the pier.

"Hamid! Hamid!"

The dock worker stood aside at the swarthy captain's nod, and Kal embraced his friend.

"It's good to see you, Hamid."

"And you, my boy," Hamid said. "I did not expect to see you so soon, but I am glad for it. But where is Wren?"

Kal almost broke at the mention of her name. "...She was taken." He told Hamid what had happened.

"How can I help?" his friend asked.

"We need Akachi," Kal said. "Will you take me to her?"

Hamid nodded. "Come, we'll depart at once. If you're ready."

"Let's go."

Kal had grown to love the sea during his first voyage on the Zanabaq, but now he was restless, wishing that he could will the ship to sail faster. Hamid assured him that they were making good time due to the favorable wind, remaining patient no matter how many times Kal asked.

At night more than ever, Kal's thoughts drifted to Wren. It was inevitable when he lay in the hammock they had shared after escaping Bellhaven, and he longed to feel her soft hair tickling his shoulder and breath puffing against his neck. But all the while, the thought that he would never see her again gnawed at his sanity.

At last the island appeared on the horizon, and Kal went about his duties with an enthusiasm that was almost a frenzy, as if his actions could force the ship to pick up speed. When they finally dropped anchor a short distance from the shore, he was the first to prepare the dinghy and the first to set foot on the sand.

"Akachi!"

He called out several more times, but the only answer was the rush of wind and the buzzing of insects from the jungle. Hamid and Aziz followed as he ran through the underbrush, heading for the castle that crowned the island.

A stone staircase zigzagged up the bluff that the castle occupied, the steps cracked and moss-covered. At the top, there was a heavy door. When it didn't open, Kal rammed his shoulder into it but it didn't budge, barred from within.

"Akachi!"

There was still no answer. He kicked the door, then drew his hook and cast it over the battlements overhead, climbing up as his companions rounded the corner. Hamid called out after him, but Kal ignored him as he stepped onto the battlements. A nearby door opened into a spiral staircase that led down the tower, and he followed its tight curve until he emerged in a hall that was open to a lush courtyard on one side.