Chapter Twenty-One - Benefactor

Kal thought that there couldn't be a better way to wake up than with Wren's arms around him. Her leg was entwined with his, her hand on his chest and head resting on his shoulder, her soft hair tickling his skin. He leaned down to kiss the top of her head, and she stirred, smiling even before her eyes opened.

"Good morning."

"Good morning, darling."

There was a knock on the door that startled them both.

"Wren?" It was Amelia. "Are you awake, honey?"

She sat up and Kal wrapped his arms around her from behind, distracting her with neck kisses.

"I'm up!" She reached back to play with his hair.

"Oh, good. I don't suppose you know where Kal is?"

"N-no, I don't." Her heart pounded as she tried to remember if the door was locked or not.

"Hm. He must be in the bath or something," Amelia said. "Don't tarry, we'll be leaving soon."

"A-Alright!" It was all she could do to keep her voice steady with Kal kissing her. "Mm...! You—" She turned to smile at him, her hand resting on his stomach. "You are a wicked boy, Kallan Thomas!"

He grinned, stroking her thigh with his thumb. "So you say, but you seem to enjoy it."

"Well." She leaned down to kiss his cheek and neck. "Maybe I'm a little wicked, too."

He pulled her into a lingering kiss, then extricated himself from her embrace and got out of bed. "I'd better get ready," he said.

She leaned on an elbow with a mock pout. "If you must."

He gave her one more kiss. "Not to worry, darling. I'll see you in a blink."

Opening the door just a crack, he peered into the hall and darted to his own room when it seemed safe. The only one inside was Tod, pulling his boots on. The boy raised an eyebrow as Kal came in.

"Morning. Had a fun night, did you?"

Kal tousled his brother's hair. "Not a word, lad. Not a word."

He ran into his mother in the hall after scurrying to the washroom to wash his face.

"So you were in there," she said. "I didn't know where you'd gone."

"Been here all along, Mum."

"Hm. Well, your uncle is preparing breakfast now, so come down when you're ready."

The meal consisted of eggs, spiced sausage, and toast covered in sweet jam, as well as cider to wash it down. Wren sat next to Kal, enjoying the conversation and laughing as everyone gathered around the table.

They bid farewell to Allen and his family when they had finished eating, then began the journey back to the farm. As before, Edric and Amelia sat on the wagon's bench while Kal, Wren, and the children crowded in the back. Kal took Wren's hand, and she rested her head on his shoulder.

The trip back passed without incident as the wagon trundled along down the dirt road. To either side, the leaves of the trees were beginning to show the first signs of autumn, their lush green just starting to fade to yellow.

Kal's stomach was growling by the time they reached home when the sun was at its zenith overhead. His mother, Wren, and the girls went inside to prepare lunch while he and his brothers helped their father unload the wagon. He had just put the dirty laundry from the trip into the large basket near the washroom when there was a rumbling from outside.