the night ended rather late, for it was almost midnight by the time they arrive back to violets apartment building.

the two open the door with a roaring laughter about whatever was going through their heads.
they stop abruptly at the sight of william at the kitchen island. a look of annoyance across his face.

"violet, where were you?"

"i told you," she hesitates, closing the door behind them.
"finn and i went to the gala."

"you didnt tell me that!" he tries not to raise his voice in the quiet apartment.

"yes." she stands stern, putting her coat to the rack.
"i did."

"love," he sighs.
"look can we talk? please?"

she glances to finn with an apologetic look. he nods, his hand daring to graze the small of her back in front of her boyfriend.
"uh, i'll just be upstairs."

finn leaves the couple in the dark kitchen. violet wished he hadn't.

"look, i dont like to argue with you."

"its not arguing if your voice barely moves above a whisper." she mumbles, standing herself across the counter from him.

"what, you want me to yell at you?" his hand drags across his face.

truthfully, violet did. it had been so long since shes yelled and shouted; getting all her anger out. she almost craved it, but how was she supposed to explain that?

she doesn't respond.

"you do, don't you? you want me to be like him."

"like who?"

"what, you think i don't know?"

"i don't know what you're talking about." she lies.

"yes you do violet, i know how badly he treated you. and yet you're still leaving me home to go out with him."

"hes not like that anymore."

"ive given everything to you- i mean, what am i doing wrong violet?"

"you dont love me." she admits into the silence.
"and, i dont love you william."

"and you love him."

she shrugs,
"i care for you, really i do. and i dont want to leave you."

"then what do you suggest?"

"finn leaves on monday. we'll talk after he goes home in a couple of days."

william stays silent as violet nods for him.

there, she leaves him in the middle of the empty dark kitchen. heading quietly up the stairs in her barefeet.

she hesitates just out of her door, turning around to tap lightly on the door that leaked light from its cracks.

"finn?" she cracks the door open, watching him from the doorway.

she inspects him as he turns from the dresser, looking to her gently.
"is everything okay vi?"

"everything fine." she nods.

"okay." he smiles gently, sweetly.

by now, his suit was hung neatly to the closet. pajamas dressed to his body, but his hair still tamed in effortless curls.

she stares to him, thinking into the emptiness of the hallway.

"im, going to bed. but, be ready by eight tomorrow morning okay? we need to impress at that photoshoot."

"okay vi, goodnight."

violet smiles gently, staring to his dark eyes from across the room.

finally, suddenly, her words echo into the quiet room.

"i love you, finn."

his heart sinks, his stomach fluttering until it dies. feeling his ego go down as he remembers its only pure friendship between the two.

it was three words he craved, but understood she meant it kindly, friendly.

"i love you too, violet. sweet dreams."

she shuts the door, proceeding back to her room.

the two of them sat in practically the same way in their opposing rooms.

heavy in breath.

hearts beating out of their chest.

head spinning.

and just like they were once as kids,

in love.

1183 wc