Chapter 13: Denial

Abby's POV

I still can't believe that the girls have been gone for almost a month. A part of me still expects them to walk in the door with their dance bags, looking down at their phones and laughing about nonsense on their social media. I can't believe that they both died of some sort of poison, according to Melissa and Christi. However, I still feel deep inside that they are alive somewhere out there.

"Ok girls! Let's get to pyramid," I said sadly.

The studio will never be the same without them. We haven't won a dance since they disappeared.

Maddie's POV

According to the map, Chloe and I have about 30 miles left. I don't know how long it will take, maybe 3-4 days at this pace. My leg has mostly healed, and Chloe and I found a clearing with a small pond.

"Maddie! Maddie! Put your bathing suit on and let's wash off."

On our way here, we found another travel center that had little bars of perfectly wrapped lilac soaps in the restroom. So the natural thing to do is grab a couple. We also purchased a toothbrush and toothpaste to use in bathrooms.

I jumped into the tiny pool of water, making small ripples in the otherwise smooth glassy water. We washed off, and washed my frail body that was caked with dirt and scrapes covered in dried blood. I sat down in the water and took my hair down to scrub it. After I felt sufficiently clean, I hopped out of the water. I spread put my blanket, and laid down in the sunny area.

I guess I fell asleep, because Chloe is now making dinner. Oh wow. I am sunburnt. Oh well. That is the least of my concerns at the moment. I just want to go home.

I want to go home to my fluffy down comforter. To see my dog, Bella. Even to just go to school and dance practice and do homework. I want to be done with all of this.

"Good morning sleeping beauty," Chloe said. Her back was turned to me, because she was making a fire.

"What are you cooking over there?" I asked timidly, afraid of the answer.

"Squirrel," she answered promptly and skipped off to a collection of vines containing blackberries and raspberries.

"We are eating squirrel. Raspberry squirrel," she continued. "It would be lovely if I could find some hazelnuts. Oh there they are."

I threw up a little in my mouth, but decided it was better than starving.

"These kettle chips our moms packed will go perfectly with the squirrel," Chloe added.

"Oh. Yum," I said, trying to sound cheerful.

Tomorrow we are leaving our clearing. The only place that has felt like a home. I hope we get to the studio soon. I am developing some wild hygiene habits.

AUTHORS NOTE

HEY GUYS! SORRY IF THIS CHAPTER IS KINDA CHOPPY, I HAVE BEEN WRITING IT RANDOMLY DURING THE DAY. 6 LIKES AND 3 COMMENTS FOR NEXT CHAPTER! YOU CAN DO IT GUYS. AS I AM WRITING THIS, I HAVE OVER 800 READS! THANKS SO MUCH, BUT ONCE I GET TO THE FINAL CHAPTER, I CANT POST IT WITHOUT 50 READS PER CHAPTER. 6LIKES AND 3 COMMENTS FOR NEXT CHAPTER!

LOTS OF LOVE

ADRIA (BTW THAT IS MY NAME) PRONOUNCED: ADREEU