Chapter Two

JESSE

jesse.

Jesse.

"JESSE!" I jerked up with a shock at the sound of Petra's panicked voice.

"What happened?" I asked, wincing as my head pounded.

"You passed out as we were walking through the forest. Lluna led me to this cave, but you need to get that armor off. Now."

"What's wrong?" I fingered the bottom of the chestplate, but my fingers felt... weird. Numb.

"What the heck?!" I felt light-headed again as I looked down at my grey fingertips. "Is that-"

"Cobblestone, yeah," Petra said with a grim expression.

"But, what, how?" I stammered, trying to process

"But, what, how?" I stammered, trying to process. How are my fingers cobblestone? This should be impossible! Fingers don't just turn grey and tingly!

"I'm guessing that it's that armor," Petra said, "which is why you need to get it off right now!"

I grabbed the bottom of the chestplate and started to tug. As I tried to get it off, Lluna spit on my hand.

"Gross," I muttered, still pulling. It did seem to loosen the armor a little though.
"Let me help," Petra said as she started to pull the armor up off me. I winced in pain.

"Ow, ow, stop!" I pulled away and sat with Lluna. "It's like it's latched onto me."

"That's weird," Petra said. "How do your fingers feel?"

I flexed experimentally. "Kind of numb?" I said. "Like, they can move but I can't feel it."

Petra stood up and started to rummage through her inventory. "If there's anybody who could know anything about this-" she pulled out a map to Beacontown- "it's Harper. The Old Builders have created so much, and she surely knows something about weird... curse things."

This could be a curse?!

"Good idea," I said. "We can also talk with Ivor like we planned when we get the Atlas from the Order Hall. He knows potions and stuff. I felt like I was poisoned when we were walking through the jungle."

"Then let's go!" Petra gave me a hand up and, after gathering our stuff, we walked back into the jungle.

"Wait." Petra stopped and grabbed my hand. "Don't take this the wrong way Jesse, but maybe you should... take it easy until we know what's going on. Maybe ride on Lluna?"

"But I can still walk!" I protested, jerking my hand away. "Only my fingertips are- gah!"

I cut off when I felt a searing pain on my hand, followed by a trail of numbness. The cobblestone traveled further and further up my hand, coming to a stop at my wrist. I sucked in a breath, sweating buckets, then looked back at Petra.