The girl

That girl who caught my attention, #233987 ( I checked on the teacher's attendance list ), I really want to know if she is like me. I'll wait for the day to end then go see her.

***

The bell rings. It's the end of the day and I have to go talk to this girl. I mean, I don't HAVE to but I promised myself I would. Stress and questions start invading my mind. What if she is like others and not like you? She could tell the authorities and they could arrest you! Don't do it, said a voice. Yeah do it! it's been so many days you're wondering. Time to know the truth, said another. I start  seriously freaking out. Should I? Well I'm already headed to her locker and she saw walking towards her so I guess I am kind of obligated...

- Hey. Can we go in the bathroom a second? I announced.

- I don't know.

- Please, I begged her.

She rolled her eyes a little then nodded and we ran to the closest bathroom. I checked if no one was looking then entered. I asked her:

- What are you?

- I am a number and you are one too. If someone sees us, it's our last day alive so hurry up before we get caught.

- No but seriously, I started, I want to know. Do you have a mind? Feelings? Ideas? A normal working body?

She looked scared. Scared as if I just took away something crucial. As if she was about to die. As if I just killed her. She said nothing and left so quickly it looked like she mysteriously vanished. She ran away and I tried to follow her but when I looked in the hallway, everything seemed normal. No sign of her... What the hell just happened...