ii. the children

ii. the children

                    TWO DAYS LATER, Knox found herself sitting at the dining room table in the Academy, phone pressed to her ear and television turned to the news station. The news of Sir Reginald Hargreeves's passing had spread to the far corners of the world. While Knox didn't see the use of reporting the death of her former employer, the world pushed on. To them, one of the most eccentric and heroic billionaires of all time had finally met his demise.

Knox was just worried about her next pay check.

Stationed in the kitchen, Grace hummed a song under her breath. Since Hargreeves's passing, she'd spent most of her time wandering around, no longer quite sure where she stood in the household. The absence of a boss left her requiring more attention. In turn, Knox had started eating closer to five meals a day, just to appease the stir crazy android.

Now, the occupants of the household were playing a waiting game. The day of her employer's death, Knox had been asked to contact the grown children of Sir Reginald Hargreeves: Luther, Allison, Klaus, Diego, and Vanya. They were all adults, all with jobs and lives away from the Academy, but still required to come home to grieve.

Today was the day that they arrived to make funeral arrangements. In front of Knox, on the table, was the very same will and testament she'd been planning to review with Sir Hargreeves. The contents were the same, although she'd taken the liberty and reviewed it over at least two more times.

She planned to walk through it with the guests as soon as they had enough time to. There was more to the will then dividing up money. There was the estate, the savings, and the Umbrella Academy. Who would want the house?

Before she could think any longer, the front door opened. Knox stood from her seat and smoothed down her dress - a new one with a very no nonsense collar. She stepped through the doorway, into the foyer to see a woman setting down a suitcase. The woman was tall, undeniably beautiful, and had a face anyone on the planet would recognize immediately.

"Allison," Knox said in greeting, moving forward with an outstretched hand and trying not to look too starstruck. "How are you?"

"Good," Allison said honestly, shaking Knox's hand before glancing around. "Am I the first one?"

Even though she didn't need to, Knox glanced around as well. "Yes." She finally said.

In truth, Knox felt a little lightheaded. Allison Hargreeves was so much more than the child of a billionaire. She was an actress, famous for roles in more movies than any other celebrity. Standing in her presence made Knox want to cower away. Not because Allison was elitist, but because she was so damn humble it made Knox feel slightly worthless.

Before she had the ability to embarrass herself, Pogo made his entrance, smiling at Allison warmly. "Miss Allison," he said kindly, moving forward to take her hand, "How good it is to see a face like yours."

Allison laughed and shook her head. "Pogo, I'm sure you don't mean that." She turned to glance at Knox, "Especially working with a face like this. You were Dad's assistant?"

Knox nodded when she realized the question was directed at her. "Yes, yes," she stuttered out, "I've been here for three years."

"Without losing your mind?" Allison said with a small smile. "I commend you."

The door behind her opened again, revealing yet another of the Hargreeves children. A man dressed in all black combat gear, with throwing knives strapped to his thighs and back. His eyebrows were heavy set, making him look intimidating as well as angry. Knox swallowed discreetly, put off by the threatening presence.