Chapter:21

I buckled Cole in and checked the car seat. It's the end of March and we are just getting onto the circuit. People have already been asking where we are. Once I got Cole buckled in, I got into the front seat. Jake got in behind me. "Everything is loaded." He said. "Cole's strapped in. Did you lock all the trailer doors and hatches?" I asked.

"Yes ma'am." He answered before we got on our way. I kicked my shoes off to bed able to crawl between the seats. We were two days in to traveling and have half a day left to go. I nearly fell asleep in the backseat as Jake drove his turn.

I woke up when Cole started crying. He's hungry. "Do you need a light?" Jake asked. "Do other drivers need to see my tits?" I asked. He chuckled. "Those are mine." He said. "They were mine first." I told him. He chuckled again.

The rest of the night Cole only cried for a diaper change. I drove for half the day while Jake slept. Then at noon we swapped. At about two I was sleeping in the front seat when I heard the breaks applied harshly. An arm holding me back in the seat. I felt the jolt too. "Dang it." Jake said getting out.

In front of us was a crash. Cole was screaming. I got out and got to him. I got him out of his seat and carried him with me to help Jake check the horses. I opened the back door and unlatched the guard where Patch was. I patted his rump getting him to sidestep. I checked his side and feet. Cole refused to stop.

I finally untied Patch and got him out. He sniffed Cole before nudging his foot. Cole calmed slightly before seeing Patch. "Shh. It's alright baby boy." I said tying Patch to the side. Jake got Dusty out. Several cruisers pulled up with a fire engine and a few ambulances. Jake checked both horses where the padding was and their heads and legs before coming to check on Cole and I.

"I'm fine." I said. "Idiots on the road." He muttered. The hazard lights on the truck and trailer were blinking. Cole started to cry again. "Let me see the keys to the living quarters." I said to him. He handed them over. I went into the living quarters and checked Cole out better. I then changed his diaper and fed him.

Then exited locking it back up. A man ran up. "Y'all alright?" He asked. As he came closer I recognized him as a rodeo competitor. "Yeah. A man tried to pass me and hit the car in front of the second car he was passing and it all..." I went to Jake's side.

Cole squirmed. The guy spotted him. "There's no way." He said. "Well, it was December when we found out and she was actually six months along." Jake said. "No symptoms?" He asked. Jake nodded. "Man. Everyone will be shocked." He said. A man in state trooper uniform came up to us.

"Anyone hurt?" He asked. "No sir. Shaken up though." Jake told him. "Livestock hurt?" He asked. "No sir. We got lucky this time." Jake answered. "Did you see what happened?" He asked Jake. "Yes sir." They got into talking about what happened. "Never thought he would get married and have kids." The guy said. "He's wanted to since we were sixteen." I said.

"How long have you known him?" He asked. "Three years old. Our grandparents are friends. Our grandfathers traveled rodeo together." I said. Jake came back over to us. "Well, it's going to be nearly an hour." He said. "Traffic is already coming this way." I said. "I'll pull up along side y'all in the middle of the road. It'll block just enough for the emergency crews to go by.

He got clearance from the officer before pulling up just right for the ambulance to get by. Two miles back was the turn in for the other lane. There's not another for thirty miles. Another officer went down and got the whole left lane blocked off for the ambulances.

Another ambulance came through. I had to cover Cole's ears. He was reaching out. I moved closer to Jake. He grabbed Jake's shirt in his fist. "Dad." I said. Jake turned. "Someone wants you." I said. "Come here bud." He said taking Cole from my arms. "Should load the horses back up. Here comes the wreckers." He said. I loaded the horses up while Jake held Cole. Unbelievable, Cole fell asleep in Jake's arms.

I checked them once more before giving them water. I tied them in and went to lock it up. The wreck was almost cleared. The man responsible was carted away in an ambulance. I found a bumper sticker and put it on the back. It said babies on board, if you can read this either slow down or move over.

Then another. It takes an average man more than thirty seconds to stop this caravan. Move to the left if you are too close or you will be in the hospital. People don't really know how fast we can stop compared to them. It's ridiculous!

Jake was buckling Cole in. "I'll drive to the gas station about forty miles ahead." I said. He nodded. "I'll ride back here with him." He said. "Good thing I know how to drive a rig slow." I said. He scoffed. I got into the driver seat. And moved the seat forward. Good thing we know where each other has it with the seat memory.

I started the truck and when given the go ahead, pulled through slowly. Once through I went about going. I was pulling into the truck stop and gas station when Cole started getting upset. I parked next to a pump and got out. "I'm going to take him with me to be changed." Jake said taking him.

I filled the tank up and paid for the fuel before getting in and pulling to the side. When Jake came out, I went in to use the bathroom. I asked if he wanted anything to eat or drink before exiting.