When he was mine.

This time the trip through space was a pretty trip down memory lane. Rick decided he'd try to find all the songs we used sing to while on trips to different planets.

As we sang loudly and off key together, Morty laughed at us and clapped along, there wasn't a care in my mind. I was in a different place with the person I had missed so much all this time.

I had dreamt of meeting Rick again over and over. Sometimes the endings were bitter and mean causing me to wake up in tears, others the ending brought comfort, happiness and I'd wake up smiling only to realise he wasn't next to me and I'd frown trying not to cry.

I tried not to think about that as the mood was still high, I wanted to bask in this feeling for as long as possible.

"Welp, here we are," I spoke with a smile before landing my car next to Ricks ship. Rick smiled at me as a thank you before stepping out of my car and taking a look at his ship.

He opened up the hood and pulled out the screw driver he brought with him before tinkering around with the engine, after only a minute he shut the hood again and walked around to the door.

"You wanna follow behind me to get home, then?" Rick asked jumping in the ship and rolling his window down to talk to me.

"Yeah sounds good," I turned to face Morty who was still sitting in the back of my car, playing something on his phone, "Hey kid?" He looking up at me smiling, "You wanna jump in the front or ride with your grandpa?" I asked tapping the passenger seat next to me with a small smile.

"I-I'll sit in the front," Morty spoke quickly while climbing through the seats to the front, I laughed quietly then looked back at Rick.

"Lead the way!" I yelled to him dramatically, he rolled his eyes with a small smile before rolling up his window and taking off, I rolled up my window and followed behind him as he lead me back towards earth.

Me and Morty sat in silence, it was a comfortable silence though, like a little breather after all the singing and dancing on the way here. But I could see Morty shifting in his seat awkwardly and glancing at me then straight back out the window a few times, he seemed nervous, as if he couldn't keep something in for much longer.

"S-so, what really ha-happened between you a-and Rick?" Morty asked quietly, I was dreading this, I knew someone would ask about last night, after all the yelling it was bound to happen. That must've been what was on his mind for a little while. I didn't quite know what to say so I decided to play dumb.

"What do you mean?" I asked furrowing my brows at him for second before looking out towards Ricks ship again.

"W-well, y'know, all that sh-shouting last night, i-it doesn't really seem like y-you guys just-just drifted a-apart," he said in a hushed tone while looking at Ricks ship. What do I say? Rick obviously doesn't want his family to know what happened. I panicked. I stared out at Ricks ship in front of us for a few seconds, trying to figure out whether I should tell him or not and if I do, how much do I tell him?

"L-look, Morty, Rick told me I shouldn't tell you or the rest of the family what happened. Part of me does really want to tell someone about it, just get it out there, but, we have to respect his wishes. Maybe one day he will tell you, but right now, he doesn't want anyone else involved. I'm sorry." I teared up, realising this was one of the few chances I could get to talk about it, to get all that trauma out there and maybe take the weight off my shoulders, but I couldn't do it, there's too much to say and Rick would be furious if he found out I ran my mouth to Morty. I've never been one to betray someone like that.

"I-i guess I understand, but, y'know i-it seems like you're not, like not okay with whatever really happened." He muttered, he seemed embarrassed for asking such a personal question but honestly I can't blame him for asking, I'm almost certain Beth will ask at some point too and hopefully Rick will see its only out of concern.

"Don't worry about me kid, I'll be okay, I promise." I gave him a weak smile still holding back those tears. He smiled back at me, it was a hopeful a smile, a smile that said 'I know you will but just be careful' a smile so alike the smiles Rick would throw me before a dangerous mission. It hurt to think back to those times, when it was me and him against the universe, when he was still mine, and I was his.