Reappearing Feelings

I woke up to the sound of light snoring and the feeling of arms wrapped around my waist and a warm body under my head, I looked up and realised it was Rick, he looked so peaceful, he never looked this calm and carefree when he was awake, as much as he'd like to believe he was carefree, he really wasn't. Last night came rushing back into my head.

My eyes watered as I remembered everything and tears poured out of my eyes and down my face, falling onto Ricks rising and falling chest. I noted the rhythmic beating of his heart it was so soothing.

His snoring slowed to a stop and I felt him move slightly under me, his arms let go of me leaving a cold feeling on my body, he raised them up over his head stretching, he was awake.

He looked down at me and smiled weakly but when he saw my fresh tears he frowned.

"Why are you crying?" He asked in his raspy morning voice, I couldn't pick up what emotion was in his voice. I smiled weakly.

"I don't know," I said with a small giggle. I hate seeming so weak in front of him so soon after meeting him again. He's supposed to believe I'm stronger now.

He placed his arms back around my waist. He furrowed his brows seeming to have thought of something to say but was debating saying it.

"Can we uh can we talk about last night?" he said sitting up and pulling me up with him.

"Later? Please, I'm still waking up," I said stretching, he smiled.

"You've been smiling a lot, can we talk about that? You would almost never smile," I said leaning back against his chest.

"I guess I'm just happy to see you, y'know... I-I have missed you," He spoke opening up again, maybe he thought he owed me as I basically ripped myself open in front of him last night.

"Why did you leave?" I asked the question that has been bugging me for 9 years, Rick seemed to tense up at this question he sighed heavily and avoided my eyes while he talked.

"Honestly, after what happened I couldn't forgive myself and seeing you every day with that... that scar-" He pointed to the middle of my chest as he spoke, "I just- I couldn't do it, it was too much, I blamed myself every second of every day for putting you in so much danger and you-you wanted to act like it never happened b-but I... I just... I wasn't strong enough," A tear fell down his cheek and he looked up at the ceiling to calm down, I reached up and stroked his cheek with my thumb to dry his tear. It seemed like that was so hard for him to say.

"I just wish you talked to me, we could've gotten through it together, like always," I spoke smiling weakly as tears fell for the third time in front of him, all the anger I had towards him for leaving seemed to vanish as I said those words, I had forgiven him. It was like a weight fell off my shoulders.

He looked down at me and smiled back, this time he wiped my tears away and we both chuckled lightly.

"Dad! Breakfast is ready!" We heard Beth call up to us from the bottom of the stairs. We both rushed to wipe away the rest of our own tears.

Rick gave me a reassuring smile before we got up and out of bed and stumbled down the stairs. We both took a seat at the table, Morty, Summer and Jerry kept looking at me and Rick with the same weird look on their faces, Rick ignored it so I did the same.

After we had eaten Rick took me into the garage, it was filled with gadgets, parts, chemicals and tools, I walked around looking at everything.

"Impressed?" Rick asked I turned around to face him.

"Yeah," I whispered still amazed by everything, I was never as great or as smart as Rick, he taught me almost everything I know and he helped me build my car from pieces we found in a junkyard. Every time I saw a new gadget of his I was amazed, he never failed to impress me.