Goliath had little patience left. "What is the meaning of this?!" he demanded, taking a step towards Xanatos. "Who were they, and why did they attack the castle?"

"That," Xanatos said, "was Cyberbiotics. They are rivals of mine—criminals, actually. You see Goliath, with wealth comes power, and I am very wealthy. As such, I attract the jealousy and hatred of others. This particular corporation is a..."

"Corporation?" Goliath interrupted.

Xanatos gave a bemused, closed mouth smile. "A group of men working together for economic benefit. To create wealth. Understand Goliath, the world functions much differently than it did in your past life. Wealth is no longer primarily generated from the land, but rather from products—from items that are of use to people. And the most profitable of all items is technology, such as the technology contained in this suit." Xanatos banged a fist against his chest with a clang.

While he was speaking, Owen had quietly strode from inside the castle up next to his boss. Without looking at him, Xanatos issued his orders. "Owen, see to it that the good detective finds his way outside to his vehicle." Without a response, Owen grabbed Bluestone by the arm and slung him across his shoulders. He showed remarkable strength, walking steadily with him across the way and through the hole in the wall that lead to the elevator banks. In the meantime, the other Gargoyles had collected themselves and arrived to join. The small, greenish one approached Xanatos. He looked the suit up and down and then, timidly, tapped one of the wings. A metallic tap-tap made him perk up in amazement. After this minor diversion, Xanatos continued. "I'm going to level with you, Goliath. You aren't here solely out of curiosity, nor generosity. I'm both a curious and a generous man, but it was a monumental use of resources to get you here, I assure you. In exchange for your re-awakening, I'm hoping for something in return."

Goliath's eyes narrowed.

"Don't worry," Xanatos said. "I'm no tyrant. I view the whole thing as more of a partnership. First, I'd like you to protect the castle. My understanding is that you do that anyway," he glanced at Demona, then returned his eyes to Goliath. "Since the castle is now the worldwide headquarters for my organization, I believe it would be a small favor to ask that that protection extend to me and my company as well."

Goliath stepped forward. The sternness of his face had not faded in the slightest. "Why not simply rely on your technology?" he asked.

"You'll learn that I'm a strategic man. I have excellent technology, but so do they. You and your kind are something that on this entire planet, only I have. That is an edge. You've already proven it tonight." Xanatos motioned with his arm at the wreckage of the helicopter. Goliath took a moment to consider.

"I'll need a moment to confer with my companions," Goliath said.

"Of course," Xanatos replied. He turned and followed the same path Owen had taken moments before.

"You should listen to him, Goliath," Demona said. "As I'm sure you have gathered by now, he would not have found you without my help."

"I do not trust him," Goliath said.

"Nor should you. He is a human," Demona replied. "But you can trust me, and I am telling you that he will serve us well, now that we are together again." She moved close to Goliath and put her hand around his arm. "I know you have many questions and few answers, but it will be a slow process for you to understand this new world. You must trust me."

Goliath looked at the elder, who had remained still as they spoke. Taking his prompting, he said "What choice do we have, lad? The castle is our home, no matter where she may be. If protecting the castle means protecting this Xanatos, it's all the same to me."

Goliath let out a low, rumbling sigh. "It appears we have little choice," he said. "Very well, we will protect the castle, and whoever else has made it their home. For now." He turned to Demona. "Come with me, I wish to speak with you. The rest of you, assess the castle. Find out what you can about all that has changed." With that, he took Demona by the hand, stepped onto the wall and jumped into the air. The two of them drifted higher and higher with the wind, then landed on top of the castle tower. After landing, Demona turned immediately to Goliath. "My love, I..." She was cut short by Goliath, who stepped forward and kissed her—a long, passionate kiss. When it was over, he took both her hands in his and they pressed their foreheads together. They stayed this way for several minutes. "You are right my love," Demona began softly. "I am so concerned with telling you what you need to know that I have failed to appreciate what has happened. After so many centuries, we are together again." She draped her arms around his neck and fell into his chest. Goliath enveloped her in his wings and they stood there, like a single being, breathing together.

After a time, Goliath raised his head from hers and looked toward the stars. "For me, I saw you only yesterday. For you, it has been an eternity. I can not imagine how that must have been." He paused, and looked at her. This small reprieve had helped him, but now it was time to be direct. "There is something you are not telling me. A thousand years has changed you, beloved, but I still know you. What is it that you are holding back?"

Demona raised her head and looked at him. She smiled. "You really are here, aren't you," she said. Another moment passed, and she pressed herself away from his chest, slightly so that she could look at him face to face. "I hide nothing from you, my love. It is Xanatos who does not know everything."