Chapter 32 - Remorse

"Brooke..."

"Don't..." She dismissed, brushing passed Lincoln and heading toward the kitchen.

"On come on!" Footsteps behind her revealed Lincoln followed.  "I have been trying to talk to you for weeks but all you've done is ignore me or run away!"

Not much scrubbing or rinsing happened before Brooke slammed her sudsy hands on the counter.  "Because you left me!  And every time after that, it has not been a good time.  Days after storming out of here?  At my church?  At my daughters birthday party?"

Eyes squeezing closed, Brooke forced air to enter then exit her lungs, calming her pounding heart.  Arguing is not what she wanted to do right now, even with him.

"When you ignore my calls and texts, you leave me no choice but to find you at a place I know you will be," Lincoln reasoned, his voice much softer.

Leena's voice rang in her head. Maybe he's trying.  You'll never know until you hear him out.  Wouldn't you want him to listen to you?

With a heavy sigh, Brooke slowly turned to face him.  "You're right."

"What?"

Eyes lifting to his wide ones beneath raised eyebrows, Brooke's shoulders slumped.  "You're right.  My avoiding you has not been... helpful."

Lincoln's lips curved into a smirk as he stepped forward.  "Nope.  You owe me..."  hands on her hips. "An apology."

Brows dipping as he leaned forward, Brooke placed a hand on his chest effectively halting Lincoln from reaching his goal.  "Is that so?"

"Mhmm."  Lips parting, he leaned in again.  Brooke pushed harder onto his chest.

"You owe me one, too."

"I was about to give it," He grinned.

"Oh, really," Brooke gave a lopsided grin, pushing again on Lincoln's chest when he leaned forward again.  "We both know where that kind of apology could lead with my daughter and your niece awake in the other room.  Probably not the best adult decision."

Exhaling through his nose, Lincoln nodded, knowing that stopping was just as difficult for Brooke as it was for him.  It was better to not even start at this moment.

"Then for now..." he reached up, cupping her cheek.  "I am sorry, Brooke.  I'm so sorry for walking away."

"And I'm sorry for not finding a moment, any moment to tell you about Melody."

"I didn't exactly make it easy for you."

"No," Brooke chuckled.  "You certainly didn't."

Brushing the tip of his nose over hers, Brooke's breath hitched.  Having him this close, still wanting, desiring her had her heart pounding.  Lincoln's hand held her hip, the other cradling the back of her head.  Her own hands held his biceps, the one that held her securely their one secluded weekend away.

"I still owe you a dinner date," He whispers, lips curving into a smirk even as they temptingly brushed over her willingly parted ones.

"That you do."

"We could...skip to dessert for now?"  Lincoln grinned, tilting his head.

Brookes heart hammered so fast it felt ready to burst from her chest.  Was she ready to skip to that already?  Lightly grazing fingertips traced the curve of her spine, reminding Brooke of how amazing, desired and valued Lincoln made her feel in the cabin.  Moreso, how much she missed it.  Missed him.

"I-"  The piano riff ringtone of Brooke's phone interrupted her answer.  Jolting in Lincoln's arms at the surprise, she laughed nervously as she pulled her phone out answering since it was Leena.  Maybe she forgot something.  "Yeah?"