Chapter Twenty One

1920: Stefan and Rebekah are dancing. Katri sits with Jack, Ark and Klaus, who looks at them with a smile from his table. Suddenly Katri senses something and looks around. A moment later bullets start flying all through the room. Rebakah and Stefan crouch down and hide behind the bar. Stefan takes one of the bullets from the ground. Ark pushes Katri and Jack down shielding them.

"Get her out of here" Klaus snaps standing. Ark shares a look with Katri who nods. They flee together. Klaus walks briskly over to the counter towards where Stefan and Rebekah are hiding. "Rebekah! Come on, we've got to go, sweetheart" She gets up and Klaus grabs her.

"What the hell is going on?" Stefan asks.

"Stefan!" Rebekah shouts as Klaus pushes her away. Stefan notices Rebekah's necklace lying on the floor. Stefan is about to crouch down and take it when Klaus interrupts him to talk with him.

"Stefan. I'm sorry, but the fun has to end here"

"What are you talking about?" Stefan asks. Klaus compels him.

"You must forget Rebekah, Katri, Ark, Jack and I. Until I say otherwise, you never knew us, Stefan. Thank you. I had forgotten what it was like to have a brother" Klaus disappears.

..........

Ark and Katria wait for Klaus and Rebekah next to a truck in a warehouse, Ark has Jack on his shoulders. Klaus and Rebekah enter the warehouse and moves towards Ark and Katri.

"Hurry up, Rebekah. Let's go!" Klaus tells his youngest sister, Rebekah doesn't move and continues looking towards the other end of the warehouse.

"He'll be here any second"

"Do you want to die? We've been found. We need to move" Katri argues, Ark takes her hand.

"Not without Stefan"

"Stefan's not coming. We have to disappear. He'll draw too much attention. Let him go" Klaus argues.

"What did you do?" Rebekah asks him, Klaus takes her arm.

"Come on. We don't have time for one of your tantrums" Rebekah shakes his hand off her.

"I don't want to run any more, Nik! All we do is run. I want to be with Stefan"

"Fine. Then choose. Him or us" Klaus pushes, she doesn't answer. "That's what I thought. Get in the truck. Let's go" He starts walking to the truck.

"Good-bye, Nik" Rebekah whispers. "Kat" she looks to her sister who shakes her head back. Klaus stops walking. Rebekah turns away from him but he rushes over and drives a dagger through her heart.

.............

In the bar, the police are confiscating the alcohol and putting it in boxes. Rebekah's necklace is on the ground. Katerina Petrova walks over to it and is about to take it but she looks over then disappears. Stefan walks over and picks up the necklace. She watches him. Mikael is behind him.

"Hey kid. Chicago P.D" He tells Stefan.

"I'm not afraid of you"

"Oh, I'm not here for you. Have you seen these three?" Mikael shows him a drawing of Klaus, Katri and Rebekah.

"I've never seen those people before in my life" Stefan answers.

"Wrap it up, boys. We're through here" Mikael looks at Stefan and leaves. Stefan has Rebekah's necklace in his hand. Katherine watches him and leaves.

..............

Katri and Klaus stand watching as a minion loads Rebekah's coffin into the truck.

"Where will you two go?" Klaus asks, Katri shrugs.

"I have no idea, I just think with Mikael so close, it might be best to split, to make it harder for him to track us" Klaus nods a little. "He thinks we'll stick together"

"Yes" Klaus agrees. "Yes" he repeats whispering looking down. "Right, you're right" he looks to Katri.

"It's not forever" she assures him, he nods, he knows this. Katri will always come back to him. They have a curse to break after all. Ark pulls up in a stolen car and leans out the window at Katri and Jack, he gives them a smile. Katri nods and rounds the car to climb into the passenger side. Klaus watches the car leave before he sighs and looks around. Alone. For now.

....................

1931: Ark leans behind the counter of a bar, in a nice but dark bar that he and Katri have settled into, Jack sits at the end of the bar throwing peanuts at vampire Jack who is drinking rum further up the bar, and about three seconds away from killing the monkey. Jack's fashion has changed with the times but his hair has remained the same, It's a supernatural bar, no judgement here, given what Ark and Katri are they can't really judge anyone else. They cater for everyone. They even have blood infused drinks. They are just that thoughtful. They've been away Klaus now for 11 years, he pops up now and then to check in and Katri calls him often enough, letters are exchanged, they're never out of touch. Katri takes the seat next to vampire Jack who pushes a glass to her and she touches his arm. When Jack had heard about the bar he'd been there within two days, pirates as it turned out didn't have that long of a shelf life and within 40 years of turning, Jack found that he was the only pirate left, it's not as fun when he was the only one. He's been trying to find a way to exist in the new way of things, but he loves the sea, usually he lives on the coast, currently a lighthouse, he gets the sea and he gets to drink, right now that's all he wants. Ark watches his mother with Jack and Jack, the monkey curling around her shoulders and playing with her hair. She's yet to smile, Katri, all the time he's know her, she is yet to smile, it's worrying. But he knows with suffering comes pain, and given everything she went through as a 'human', it's left it's mark on her soul. Katri grumbles as the bar phone rings, it's the phone for her other business, her on the side business, Ark moves to the phone and answers it, looking down at the calendar beside the phone before making a note nodding away before hanging up, Katri stands and moves behind the bar to look at the calendar. She nods a little.

...............

Katri had made a hobby out of buying run down houses and doing them up, selling them on, and this is the last one in Rochester, New York, she has to sell. She leans against the railing outside of the house now, her coat billowing slightly in the breeze, it's rather quiet for lunch time and it's rather nice. It's stunning really the house. Her appointment, a prospective buyer climbs out of the car as it stops at the curb. He's a vampire. She knows that much. A cold one. A mutated version of the vampire she is. But a vampire none the less. She leans up a little and smirks, and she knows he knows she knows. He knows she's figured it out by the way his smile falters. She presses a finger to her lip and shrugs as the veins under her eyes appear, he relaxes realising she has as much to hide as he does. Cold ones are always easy to spot, pale almost translucent skin, gold, red or black eyes and their perfect features.

"Carlisle" he answers holding out his hand, Katri takes it. "Cullen"

"Katri" she offers. "Mikaelson"

"Mikaelson?" he asks. "Like the Original family?" he asks, she smirks and places her free hand over his clasped with hers.

"Oh, exactly like the original family" she answers.

"I'm buying a house from one of my progenitors?" he asks, she nods a little. "Can I ask questions?" he asks as she unlocks the house.

"About the house?" she asks. "Or about me and my family?" she raises an eyebrow at him.

"Both?" he asks back as they head inside. She glances to him as she shuts the door.

"Alright" she answers a little. "But I can vito" she adds, he nods.