Chapter Eleven

1065 AD: A now adult Arkin, 64 years old, but he looks to be in his early 20s still, something he noticed had happened ten years into his self solitary confinement. He's not spoken to another human being in 50 years, hunting his own food, making his own clothes, seeing through his full moon phases alone. He knows now what he is. He did the first time the moon forced him to change. He read. He knows about the men that turn into beasts. It's his curse to bare for killing his mother. And though it hurts every month, he takes his punishment. To forever remain the same, but to forever change once a month. He stands at the tree line looking at the village he used to call home, it's 5 times the size it was when he left it. His eyes scan over the area landing on a group of hunters saddling up, tonight is a full moon and they are venturing into the forest. It's not safe for them. Arkin backs away back into the trees and then heads towards his home, a cabin built of leaves and trees and stone, anything really that he could find, he's an expert at surviving in the wild, he has to be. It's a good thing part of him is an animal. He's suited to the environment. He thrusts the axe in his hand down into the wood block outside the hut and heads inside, animal furs, stones, kindling, and his bed are all that he has. The village is now starting to encroach on his forest, they're starting to cut down trees to make space for the growing population. How long till they reach his territory? How long till they come for him? They already hunt his wolf, how long till they hunt the man. He looks around the cabin and grabs the fur bag he'd made from the brown bear he'd slaughtered the month before. He starts to pack what he has, he needs to move deeper into the trees. He does not want to stay around the humans. He could cause too much damage. He does not want more blood on his hands.

................

It's not a year before he is trying to integrate himself back into society. Three towns away from his old home he finds a small settlement, just getting started, he can easily claim to be one of the travellers that have been slowly trickling in to join the community. The hardest part is talking again. He's so used to talking to animals with a series of grunts, growls and howls. It's relearning to talk that proves the hardest thing to do. He starts with farming work. It's what he knows how to do and it doesn't take much talking to do. He lives in a small hut on the farmers land, just outside of the main village, away from people. It's almost the perfect set up. Almost because he still has the whole wolf issue which he deals with by disappearing the day before and coming back the day after. No one is any the wiser. And pretty soon, he's human again.

.....................

1100 AD: In the middle of a forest, a witch is holding a cauldron of fire. Five men stand around her in a circle with their swords touching the ground. The witch is performing a spell in Latin. She holds the cauldron above her head and the fire is struck by a lightning bolt. She lowers the cauldron to the ground and pours the fire out. The fire spreads towards the sword blades and runs up them. The five men have the hunter's tattoo spreading up their arms and across their chest.

..................

1114 AD: In Italy, in the town's square, Katri, not as dead as Mikael lead Loki to believe, in fact she's very much alive, but the smiling, happy Kat that once was is no longer to be found, despite the heat she wears a floor length black dress with green accents on the sleeves, she stands watching a man is on a stage, there are several people tied up to wooden poles and staked through the chest on the stage. The man speaks to the crowd of people.

"These demons live among you. Passing as human" he announces. Niklaus and Elijah stop on either side of Katri, Niklaus taking her hand. Alexander approaches a box on the stage. "So, witness with your own eyes" He unlocks the box. A man steps out of the box and starts to burn. The man is set ablaze. The crowd screams in fear as the man burns to death. Alexander walks down from the stage, looking unabashed by this. Elijah leans closer to Katri.

"He's putting on quite the show" he offers.

"He is nothing. I could eat him for sport" Katri complains.

"Still you should heed the warning. Between you two here and Kol in the east, you have not been discreet. Stories of the Original vampires are spreading" Elijah complains.

"I welcome such infamy" Niklaus states.

"But if you're worried about discretion, perhaps you should wrangle our baby sister" Katri points out nodding to Rebekah who stands with Alexander, who kisses her hand and she smiles. They walk away together, arm in arm. Katri pulls a disgusted face and clenches her jaw.

................

Later Katri, Nikaus, Elijah, Alexander, and Rebekah are gathered around a table partaking in a feast. A maiden pours Katri some wine.

"I am unaccustomed to such luxury" Alexander comments.

"Well, it's the least we could do to repay you for opening our eyes to the truth" Elijah offers as Katri takes a big drink. "We're curious to hear more about your order. Your crusade"

"We are but five men. Bound by fire in the last breath of a dying witch to a single cause; the destruction of all vampires" Alexander informs them.

"And how do you hope to achieve this?" Niklaus asks.

"We have the ultimate weapon which no vampire can survive" Alexander answers, Katri glances to him from over her goblet, her eyes shift to Niklaus who glances back at her.