Chapter 25

Chapter 25
.
Insert playlist

Tolu's heartbeat  quickened, as she watched David create WhatsApp broadcast groups, to ruin the life of her friend forever. She watched him quietly as his fingers twisted eagerly, a sinister smile on his face. She also noticed how his features were smooth — his face betrayed no emotions. He wasn't new to the game. She swallowed the huge lump in her throat—and ignored the painful knot in her stomach—she couldn't give in. No, never.

Standing in that hallway, with the sound of her pacing hitting the fine marble floor at consecutive patterns, Tolu pondered on the best action to take. Her eyes darted around faster than the rainbow colors that danced across the luxurious lobby. Her mind was drowned in the sea of voices of the excited school children.

She looked over his broad shoulders, that housed his green Gucci sling bag curiously, and it took everything she had to keep herself from gasping. He was including the whole school. Juniors and seniors alike. She was pissed at Layo for what  she did—but even she knew that was going too far—David in cahoots with her, was going to ruin her best friend's life. A friend she has grown to love, grown to call her own for over five years. Her fingers moved up to her glossed lips and without thinking about the plastic state, her teeth found it.

David was typing rapidly, and she tried to imagine the several ways he could ruin Omolayo's life. The mass of muscle in her chest started beating rapidly against its bony cage. Her pupil's dilated and she started feeling light headed; a lot of things were running through her head at the same time.

If her life were a terrible TV sitcom, two mini Tolu's would've popped up on her shoulders in angel and devil costumes.

Do it!

Don't do it!

Stop him, she's your friend.

Don't stop him, she deserves it.

The imaginary figures of discernment went on and on in her head and it made her feel woozy. She didn't know how to escape the hurricane of thoughts, the struggle between positive and negative. After a struggle of thirty minutes that looked like an hour to Tolu, she decided to just act, rather than think. Without putting the repercussions into consideration, she slapped David's iPhone 8!Plus right out of his hands.

"What the fuck?" David's nose flared up, causing lines to appear on his forehead, as he scrambled for his precious gadget.

"Ahh ahn, senior Tolu how far now?" A junior girl chuckled with her group of friends.

Tolu froze. It was like some Invincible handyman screwed her feet to the spot. Her mind was already in the room, shedding hot tears under the duvet, but her body refused to cooperate. The buzzing in the hallway calmed down to a fault, save some disinterested students. They all wanted to see the drama unfold, somehow forgetting about their pool plans.

"You dey craze?" He barked, the lines of his forehead becoming visible again, as his eyes widened. "Why the fuck would you do that, you disgusting bitch."

"Ouuuu." Some student cooed. They couldn't be bold about it, for fear of being caught.

"I'm-I'm, I'm s-sorry, I didn't mean to, I—"

"Shut up, you're going to pay for this." He said, pointing fingers. He readjusted his shoulder bag, and stomped out, the disappointed students who were expecting a big squabble, quickly making way for the popular senior.

"Tolu how far na? Did Davey take your bread?" One of her classmate teased, as he strolled by with a short, plump girl.

"Idiot." She hissed under her breath. The handyman unscrewed her legs, and she made her way out of the area. Just as she was about to hit the elevator, the silly smooth voice she had become much too familiar with, filled the entire lobby.