Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

“Hey,” he whined, falling onto his back and turning his head to pout at her. “I thought you wouldn’t push me away anymore.”

Eira rolled her eyes. “I said no such thing,” she said, smiling and brushing a stray strand of hair from his eyes. Elias grinned at her, his eyes sparkling as he looked into hers.

“I love you,” he whispered, lightly kissing her again. Eira smiled against his lips as he began pulling away.

“I love you, too,” she whispered back, blushing under the undivided attention he continued to give her. He sighed contentedly and grabbed her around the waist, pressing her into him and resting his chin on top of her head.

“Let’s just stay like this all day,” he muttered. Eira could sense he was beginning to drift off again and quickly disentangled herself from his arms, sitting up. Elias immediately imitated the gesture, his expression shifting into concern as he searched her face with narrowed eyes.

“What’s wrong,” he asked, running his thumb across one of her cheeks. Eira shook her head.

“Nothing,” she said, smiling reassuringly at him. “I’m fine. It’s just that we can’t stay in bed all day.”

Elias frowned, his hand falling away from her face. “Why not?” he asked, his eyebrows drawing together.

“Because school starts back up today,” Eira explained. Elias blinked at her, his eyes widening slightly in surprise.

“Today?” he asked, glancing at the alarm clock on the nightstand beside the bed. Eira nodded and pressed her lips together, trying to contain her own disappointment. It was just her luck that the storms would choose a day like today to finally stop.

“I’m afraid so,” she said with a sigh, her shoulders slumping in annoyance. “Guess the weather just isn’t on our side anymore. Meaning schools and colleges can finally reopen.”

Elias groaned loudly and fell back onto the bed, the sheets rustling around him as he turned over and buried his face in the pillow. “Why today?” he whined, his voice coming out muted.

Eira giggled. “Yeah, I know. We actually have to start working and exerting energy again,” she said sarcastically, rolling her eyes. Elias lifted his head from the pillow to glare at her, but the look quickly faded as a slow smirk took its place.

“Who said we haven’t been exerting any energy? In my opinion, we exerted plenty of energy last night,” he said, his grin widening as Eira’s cheeks turned bright pink.

“Stop!” she cried, burying her hands in her face as he burst into laughter. “You’re too mean!”

Still chuckling, Elias rolled his eyes and lowered his wife’s hands from her face. “I’m just teasing you, Eira,” he said, pulling her down to lie beside him. Eira’s jaw remained stiff in anger.

“Oh, come on,” Elias whined, gathering her in his arms for a tight, regretful hug. “I’m sorry.”

She looked up at him, her eyes shooting daggers. “If I had known you would tease me about this, I would have never agreed to it,” she said sharply, turning her face away from him. Elias laughed softly.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said, cupping her chin and turning her face back to him. “You would have never agreed to what?” He arched an amused eyebrow and Eira blew out a loud, exasperated sigh.

“Elias, you know exactly what I’m talking about. So, stop acting like you don’t. You know how uncomfortable these things make me,” she muttered the last part under her breath, her skin pricking with uneasiness.