Chapter One- The Letter She'd Been Waiting For

Isilyra sipped a glass of water slowly, promising herself that it would be finished before she opened any of the letters. The letters had come this morning- all twenty-eight of them. She reflected a little on the past few months as she continued sipping. Late nights studying pamphlets, writing applications, and poring over course descriptions had all led up to now. Just as she finished her glass of water, the doors of the dining room burst open. She gasped in surprise.

"Don't surprise me, Horwin." She said measuredly. Her little sister laughed.

"Isil! How could I not!" Horwin's green eyes twinkled. "Aren't you going to open those letters? You've probably been accepted to every university and temple you applied to you know." She plopped down in the dining chair next to her sister, snatching one of the letters.

The sun glinted of the golden seal of the letter and threw little sparks of light across the ceiling. "Oooo, this one looks important! Open it first." Horwin insisted, shoving it at her sister.

Isilyra took a deep breath. It was only breakfast, yet her only sister proved an almost constant annoyance. "If I open it will you eat and stop bothering me?" She wondered, raising a groomed brow.

"Probably not. As neat and clean and patient and good as you are, I am sworn to be the opposite." She passed a hand over her unruly red hair, as if proving her point.

Isil sighed, giving her sister a second raised brow before taking the letter. "Alright. This one is from the Temple of Fexhir in Point City." It wasn't one of her top choices, but she still felt a bit of trepidation as she opened it.

She squinted a little, skimming it quickly. "It's acceptance... I don't particularly want to go there. Point City is relatively far away and isolated." She told Horwin.

Horwin nodded, yawning a little. "Alright. Here's another one, let's keep going. You'll be here all morning if I don't hurry you along."

The other girl pursed her lips. "True." She took the next letter, adjusting her tiny reading glasses. "Point City again." She set it aside without opening it. She went through several letters, sorting them into neat piles. Horwin had begun eating. Servants moved throughout the hall, putting out extra lamps and taking away empty dishes.

"You might like this one." Horwin mumbled through a mouthful of hot oatmeal. Isil coughed, wiping bits of oatmeal off of her green wool overdress.

"Yes, but I don't enjoy soiling my clothing before the day has begun." She took the letter with a flick of her wrist. "Kau Dryl City!" She quickly opened it. The paper felt crisp and cool- special even. Maybe that was just because she wanted it to be.

"Which school is it from? You must have applied to every temple and university there." Horwin asked, covering her mouth to prevent oatmeal from escaping.

"My first choice- Kau Dryl University, College of Mediumship, Divination, and Prophecy." She breathed, breaking the seal almost reverently. Kau Dryl University would be a dream. In the capital city, with plenty of books, studying to her heart's content.... She practically swooned where she was sitting.

"Well- what does it say?" Horwin asked, leaning forward in excitement.

Isil sucked in a breath. "I- I can go! I can go! To Kau Dryl University, to the College of Mediumship, Divination, and Prophecy." She almost- almost- squealed with happiness. Horwin did it for her, sweeping her twin sister up to dance across the polished floor of the hall. They laughed as they spun.

"I'm so proud of you!" Horwin grinned. Her freckled cheeks flushed with happiness.

"And I am proud of you as well." They stopped as they nearly hit their mother with their swinging skirts. "Kau Dryl University?" She asked. She clasped her hands tightly in front of her before allowing a rare smile to grace her lips. "I am indeed proud of you. One of House Tharn has not gone there to learn magic for a full century. It is time." Amarae was an imposing woman. Her flame red hair was combed straight down the back of her dark brown wool over dress. Her cream underdress was perfectly fitted, and small pearl drops graced her pointed ears. The spray of freckles across her prominent nose did nothing to diminish the direct gaze of her cool green eyes. She snapped her fingers and two slaves came forward. "As you will have heard, Isilyra is going to be attending Kau Dryl University. She cannot walk there, nor can she carry all the things she will need for a near permanent move. I suggest you both prepare her belongings and travel arrangements. You have a week- please be present at all fittings, meetings, and sundry purchases." Both slaves curtsied and melted into the shadows with a bit of magic.

"I will allow one of them to accompany you to Kau Dryl University and act as a personal slave to you. However, she will remain under the Fair Law." Amarae said to Isilyra. "Is that understood?"

"Yes, Mother." Isil said quietly, eyes on the hem of her dress. Horwin snorted.

"I can't believe people haven't completed adopted Fair Law. Sure people are a useful commodity, but they can't be treated like complete-"

"Horwin! Enough. You are sixteen. You are not old enough to understand the politics, economics, and personal motives that went into each city adopting the Fair Law or not adopting the Fair Law."

Horwin sighed and grumbled under her breath. "At least we can identify the traitors by their city name. Fair cities are fair."

Amarae pushed past them both. "I said enough. Now finish your breakfast. You also have preparations, though you have nowhere near as far to go."

Horwin sat down and did as she was told. Amarae casually flicked her hand, and the letter flew on a small breeze into a waste basket. "No need for those now Isilyra. Speak with the slaves and tell them what you want packed."

Isil felt a pang of loss as losing the admission letter, but let it go. Whatever her mother said, went in this manor.