Twenty-Eight

zzzz... zzzz... zzzz.... I rubbed my eyes, awaking to the sound of my phone vibrating on my bedside table. I slammed my hand on the table, snatching up my phone and picking it up before even looking at the name on the caller ID. "Hello?" I said, a crack in my voice. I knew I sounded awful since I had just woken up.

"Alycia?" I recognized Ben's voice instantly. I felt myself perk up a bit, sitting up higher in my bed. I yawned into the phone louder than I meant to. "Shit... did I wake you?"

"Um..." I looked over at the clock radio on my bedside table. "It's 1:27am, so yes. I don't mind though. What is it, Ben?" I just fell asleep an hour again, but I wouldn't mention that. He probably forgot all about the timezones and how early it actually is here.

"I honestly don't know how to go about saying this without being insanely blunt." He sighed into the phone. I stayed silent, allowing him to speak. "I feel like something has been different between us ever since you went off. I feel distant from you, even when I'm with you now. I'm nervous for us."

I felt like my heart was being crushed by his words. I felt the same way. I felt like I was losing Ben. And I didn't want to. "Ben, I get it." I told him, clearing my throat a bit. "I feel like we're losing what we have." I noticed my voice soften. My heart was heavy. "I don't want to lose it."

"No, Alycia. I don't want to lose what we have." He said quickly, clarifying. "I love you. You know." Ben reassured me. "I love you, and I love that you're out following your dream. I'm so proud of all you've done, but it's put a strain."

"I know..." I admitted. I've completely thrown myself into filming, hardly making time for Ben anymore. "Listen, Ben. I wrap in a week. I was going to just stay and hang around, but I've made the decision to come back and spend the last couple weeks with you on set."

"You're not giving up your career on me." He said in a stern voice. "I will not be that person who keeps you from your dream. I would not deprive you of everything you deserve."

"I deserve you." I said quickly. "I'm not giving up my career for you. Don't fuss about that. I'm making time for our relationship, which I've been lacking."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely. I'll be there in a week. I promise you. I'm not giving us on us."

"I knew you wouldn't." He told me. I could tell her was smiling just by the tone of voice. "You're too driven for that." I smiled, feeling the weight come off my heart. "I'll let you go back to bed now. I love you, Alycia Boynton."

"I love you too, Benjamin Jones. I'll talk to you in the morning. Goodnight." I smiled, leaning back in bed.

"Goodnight love."

~~~
go follow my instagram:
@/galileostaylor