Chapter 66

•••

•••

I don't think I completely understand Rebekah's motives at this point, or even if she had any motives to begin with. All I know is she is trying quite hard to make sure she and I become friends. Whether it be because of my sire bond with Klaus or the fact that we had spent a few days in Chicago together.

But I hate to admit that I did pity the blonde. She had just been awoken from a ninety year nap in a new time and with no one she knew, besides no humanity Stefan, after her brother had ditched her and town. To be frank, she had no one.

So when Rebekah asked me to breakfast at the Grill, I felt quite obligated to tell her yes. Which led me to here and now.

I watch Rebekah eat her eggs with a content smile on her face. Her duffel bag of her cheer belongings next to her since she had made it quite clear she wanted to be the head blonde of Mystic Falls High. My plate clean already of its contents.

"Rebekah, what are you doing?" I ask her the question that's been boggling my mind since she started her first day.

Rebekah looks up from her eggs then proceeds to wipe her mouth with her napkin. "What do you mean?"

I raise a brow in question. "We walk to and from school, have lunch, you ask me to hang out all the time, you even asked me to have a sleepover. Why are you trying so hard to make it seem like we're friends?" I lean forward on the table.

Rebekah glances between me and her plate before sighing and placing down her fork. She smiles at me kindly. "Are we not? Friends, I mean?"

I give her an incredulous look.

"You're kidding right. Your brother is a homicidal maniac who's ruined the lives of me and my friends. Why would I be friends with you?"

A certain look passes in Rebekah's face. Her smile fading away. She looks almost saddened at my comment and somehow I'm striked with guilt. Alright, maybe that had been a bit rude on my part.

Rebekah looks down, clearing her throat.

My eyes roll mentally. I take a deep breath, moving my plate aside. "Sorry. I just don't understand why you want to be my friend." I state truthfully.

Rebekah twitches a smile. "It's alright." She glances down at the table for a moment before looking back at me with a hint of grief. "Niklaus told me about you and my brother, Elijah."

My heart skips a beat. I inhale and look away.

"Elijah was the best judge of character when it came to people. I thought that if he cared for you then you would be the one that I should stick to. After all, I don't have anyone else at the moment." Rebekah chuckles slightly.