{chapter 9}E.D.I.T.E.D

Marinette's P. O. V

I shuddered hearing Gabriel's voice again. How I wished me and Adrien had stayed out longer so I wouldn't have to see him.

Wishing about that made me think about what had happened earlier. I saw his face-Adrien's upsetting face that hurt me.

I hadn't meant to lie to Alya about what was actually going on. The words slipped out, and seeing how Adrien felt about it made me be so angry at myself.

It wasn't his fault. I'd seen how Gabriel treated him. I'd seen how Adrien had tried so hard to get me not to noticed how his family had been falling apart.

The music thing. He had only wanted me to stay away from Lina and not mind in his family's business. He had wanted me to stay away from Lina and Gabriel, so I wouldn't get hurt.

He had cared.

And I just hurt him.

I just didn't know how Alya would would feel or think when I actually told her the truth. She looked so disgusted when she saw me with Adrien, and I don't want her to get that idea.

I sighed and looked up. "Me and Adrien just went for a little stroll. What's wrong with that?!"

Adrien turned to me, a face that said, you don't have to stand up for me any longer. It's not like it's going to do anything!

But I gave him the look that said, I can't watch to see you get hurt.

I don't know if he got it, but he turned away.

Lina laughed. "I never knew Adrien had the guts to ask a girl out. And I never knew a girl would even want to go out with him. Ugh!" She rolled her eyes, which got me to glare at her.

I hated this woman. I wish she was never here. Gabriel wasn't exactly my problem here, she was.

"Mind your own business!" I growled. I was tired of her talking in every conversation as if everything deserved her opinion.

I grabbed Adrien's hand and pulled him away from the two evil human beings. They were not going to hurt Adrien as long as I was still around.

Gabriel gave me that look... A look I've never seen before. It was dark, scary even. I shivered at it.

That look was a warning.

"Marinette, you're going to get yourself hurt if you keep being like this!" Adrien sighed and turned away.

Finally we were in my room. I understood what he meant by this. I was going to get hurt. But... As long as he didn't get hurt, then...

Suddenly I stopped and stared at him. I've always hated Adrien Agreste.

Well, not hate. Hate is such a strong word. Let's say, dislike. I've always disliked Adrien. He got in so many fights that got him bruises, yet he didn't care and still continued to fight. He acts as if he knows it all and stuff like that.

But here I was, caring about him. Maybe, it's because he was caring for me first?

No, there was no way I would stand up for Adrien, or speak up for him, if I disliked him.

I didn't dislike Adrien anymore. I liked him.

If I had known the reason why he got into this many fights in the beginning, maybe I wouldn't have disliked him so much. Now I understood why.

It was to get stronger, and then hopefully one day take Gabriel down.

If this was the truth, then I was totally on his side.

"Hello, are you listening?!" He waved his hand in my face, snapping me back to reality.

"Uh.. Yeah." I didn't exactly know what he said, but I knew it was something like, stop getting yourself in so many troubles. Lina already hates you, and is going to take you down if you keep going on like this.

"Adrien, maybe you should learn to stand up for yourself when this happens again," I suggested as I laid on my back on my bed.

He frowned. "I thought we weren't talking about that anymore."

I looked at him. "Huh?"

"Marinette, I was asking..." Adrien spoke, getting closer, "... About Cat Noir."