Twenty Two: A Dagger

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean by capacity?" Jordan asked. No one had mentioned that.

"It's a vast force. It's everywhere, in abundance," Nova said. "And you're just a small mortal vessel. You can't draw in more than you can handle or it will destroy you."

Jordan balked. "Oh."

If Nova was aware of the effect it had on him, she didn't seem to care very much. She looked at him for a moment longer before returning her gaze to the fire. When he still couldn't stop staring at her in mute horror, she sighed.

"Yddris won't allow that to happen," she said. "If it's any consolation, he's currently keeping it in check for you, and will do so until you can do it yourself."

"I didn't notice."

"You wouldn't. He's much better at manipulation than you are."

It made sense, suddenly, why Jordan hadn't set the lord's study on fire during the meeting. He had certainly been upset enough to set the contract ablaze, but he'd been too preoccupied to realise.

"But I set my bed on fire last night," he said, and his cheeks warmed when Grace turned to stare at him. "What about then?"

"He wasn't your tutor then. He knew when he heard about the contract terms that you were as good as apprenticed to him already, because there was little doubt that you'd sign when Harkenn was dangling Grace's life over your head. Therefore he wasn't, by Guild law definitions, being unduly intrusive by stepping in."

"How do you know this stuff?"

She spared him a glance. Her expression was unreadable. "Because I'm old. And much too nosy for my own good."

Grace had a peculiar expression on her face, but before Jordan could ask what was the matter he became aware of Nika, who had just entered the kitchen. Jordan hadn't heard him arrive, but he had known by the approaching aura of magic, detecting it long before he could see the man. Grace was the only one to jump when Nika spoke.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like a steaming pile of shit, actually," Jordan said. "But other than that, doing great."

"Yddris and I have agreed that, being that you are otherworld and unfamiliar with Nictaven, I should assist in teaching you in things that do not directly pertain to being Unspoken," Nika said.

Jordan frowned. "Doesn't that mean you have to put up with Yddris?"

Nika chuckled, and it was soft and melodious – not at all like Jordan had expected. "Yes, it does. I'm sure I'll live."

Jordan glanced at his sister's face before she could wipe the envy off it. "What about Grace? She can't read Nictavian, either."

Nika was silent for a moment, considering. Grace blushed.

"No, no, I don't want to put anyone to trouble," she said, shooting Jordan a sharp look, "Really, I'm sure I'll pick it up. I don't think the lord would allow me to take the time, in any case."

She reached back as if to scratch her neck and winced, hissing through her teeth. She dropped her hand, wiping it on the tea towel in her lap. Jordan's heart skipped. He snatched the towel from her before she could grab it and stared at the red spots there.

"You're bleeding," he said, leaning backwards despite Grace's protests. Splotches of blood were all over the back of her dress. "Show me. Show me, Grace."

"No!" Grace jumped up, clutching her dress at the front, and ran to the other side of the large kitchen counter. She glared at him across it. "Leave it."