Chapter 3:What exactly was an assistant Minister?

Gu Hong Jian discovered that she apparently didn't need to go to sleep, so she waited for Lin Si Ze to finish his business with He Fang Ning. As the candle light extinguished, she wandered aimlessly inside He Fang Ning's palace hall.

   It didn't matter if she was a ghost or a human, Gu Hong Jian's ability to recover wasn't bad.

  To outsiders, Gu Hong Jian was the only female government official since the state's founding. She had overbearing power, and a dubious relations.h.i.+p with the emperor that couldn't be described. With her vicious methods, swift and decisive actions, resolution, and rare smiles, she was a textbook femme fatale with a tomboy nature. It was like her whole person was made of steel.

  Only Gu Hong Jian herself and Lin Si Ze knew that Gu Hong Jian was in fact just an ordinary woman. She really strived to maintain her awe-inspiring reputation to outsiders, so she didn't laugh very much. Secretly, however, after getting to know people, she would cry and laugh very easily, crying at stories and laughing at non-ridiculous stories, so much so that even Lin Si Ze stroking her head would have her giggling for a very long time.

  Gu Hong Jian's mood fluctuated because of Lin Si Ze as well, but Lin Si Ze always tormented her. It took her a long time for her ego to be able to recover from it.

  It was pitch black. Unable to see clearly, she floated, lost in thought, not paying attention to the sky as it gradually brightened.

  He Fang Ning and Lin Si Ze awakened. Lin Si Ze made himself presentable and left early for the morning court. He Fang Ning was reluctant to part with him, hoping that Lin Si Ze would make promises such as "after the court session, I will come to see you," and so forth. Lin Si Ze didn't reply, however, and left.

  Gu Hong Jian stuck her tongue out at the dazed He Fang Ning and followed Lin Si Ze when he left for the palace.

  Lin Si Ze unexpectedly mentioned the Hu Prefecture during the morning court, asking General Sun if there was anything new to report. General Sun said, "Answering, your majesty the emperor. There still hasn't been any news, but I believe it will come in the next few days."

  General Sun was originally Lin Si Ze's most decorated high-ranking military officer. This Hu Prefecture business was also supposed to be his responsibility, but at the last moment, Gu Hong Jian took over. General Sun didn't become resentful of her, only very concerned.

  Lin Si Ze nodded at General Sun's response.

  Then, a man suddenly appeared, saying, "Your majesty the emperor, wēi chén1 has a matter to report."

  Lin Si Ze said, "What's the matter?"

  Gu Hong Jian glanced quickly and discovered that the man was Zhao Yun Yuan. He was a famous scholar at Imperial Hanlin Academy2. After enduring a few more years, he would probably replace Imperial Secretary Zhou, who was rapidly losing the ability to hold a brush.

  Zhao Yun Yuan said, "a.s.sistant Minister Gu is a female when all is said and done. Although she has Vice General w.a.n.g to help, a heavy crisis could still occur. Chén thinks... perhaps some troops should be sent to a.s.sist a.s.sistant Minister Gu."

  Gu Hong Jian listened and was rather surprised.

  Zhao Yun Yuan was a very honest man.

  Because of his honesty, he once made a report, impeaching Gu Hong Jian, and said that she had a venomous heart and was of an evil nature. Lin Si Ze had tossed the report to Gu Hong Jian to have a look, and she had glanced over it, saying that Scholar Zhao was of good literary talent, indeed worthy of being the true Princ.i.p.al Scholar of the Golden Imperial Examinations3. This b.a.s.t.a.r.d was much better at behind the scene powerplays than her.