90 days to live - Chapter 19

"Jared." I wince.

"Sorry." He says, pressing his lips against my knuckles. "I forget."

"Its alright." I say.

"Come on - we need to see Iron quickly." Zena says, walking briskly from behind her desk, a stack on papers resting on her clipboard. She shuffles into her white coat that hangs on the back of the door.

"Is he coming?" I ask hesitantly. Kyle.

I haven't seen him in days. My heart contricts at the thought of his grieving state. He hides away in the compartment, only coming out to train the younger Warriors. One thing he makes sure of is that we are never scheduled to be in the same place at the same time. I cast my eyes down to the floor.

"He said he would try and make it." Zena says. My spirits lift for a fraction of a second before I remember his resolve. I feel a spike of envy that she is able to see Kyle but he avoids me.

"He won't actually though will he?" I enquire. Zena nods her head slowly, acknowledging that my hypothesis is correct. Jared wraps his arm around my waist and presses a chaste kiss to my forehead. I sigh, never imagining the absence of Kyle's this present would place such a strain on my life.

"He'll snap out of it eventually." Jared says softly. I nod my head.

"Come on."

As we make our way toward's Medic two's office, I'm gratified by Jared's steady clutch around my waist.

We've barely separated from one another. With Iron, Nathan and Kyle all being absent, he's had his input in control. I found myself desiring a training and sparring partner. Jared readily volunteered for the position.

I press myself into Jared's side. With the bond having reconnected, he can interpret my feelings and only holds me closer. We haven't been able to hold an official funeral for the irretrievable members of the rescue mission. They cannot be deceased while the candlelight flame of hope burns. However a few words from Iron's lips will confirm everything.

Zena's stilettos click monotonously against the floor. The 'one, two' rhythm is surprisingly settling. When it stops, she opens the door into Medic two's office.

"Can you wait here?" I ask Jared.

He rolls his eyes. "He knows that I am here."

"He doesn't know that I granted you sanctuary."

"Didn't he allow you to make the decision? He would've known that you would have granted me permission to stay."

I shrug my shoulders. From Iron's point of view, before Jared came back it seemed to be as if I was with Kyle. I leave that part out though, not wanting to create more problems with Kyle. The possesive Jared is still an omnipresent threat.