Day 4 - Morning and Afternoon

Yamaguchi took a deep, refreshing breath. He opened his eyes and pulled determination from an unknown place, but loved the rush nonetheless. He threw a perfect ball up into the air. Now for the timing-a blink. Jump. And a perfect connection. The sweat rained down slowly on his face. He'd been practicing forever. He smiled, satisfied. The ball swerved, hitting the top of the net, then fell straight in front. His smile melted.

"That was a nice serve." A monotone voice said softly behind him. 

"Tsukki! I thought you were practicing with the other middle blockers!"

"I got tired." He said in his normal nonchalant tone.

Yamaguchi smiled to himself. He noticed he had taken more of an interest in volleyball, which made him happy. Maybe a few months ago instead of "I'm tired" he'd say "I'm bored" or something along those lines. They had only grown closer, and Yamaguchi hoped they'd always stay friends but had recently begun to feel weird around him, and his heart would flutter in his chest every time he gave someone a smirk or how flawless and elegant he would look when he moved. He plopped next to him.

Yamaguchi suddenly yawned. He didn't realize how tired he was and decided to sit down next to a reassuring presence behind him. "I think I'm going to take a quick-" 

His head lightly rested against Tsukkishima's shoulder and Tsukkishima didn't mind. Yamaguchi had often been tired after playing around all day when they were younger, and this had been a normal occurrence. Tsukkishima was glad everyone else in the gym loved volleyball so much and was so enveloped in it to pay attention to the two of them in the corner of the gym, their usual spot.

Tsukkishima moved Yamaguchi's hair out of his eyes and huffed. It didn't really bother him, but he never understood how people could play with such long hair, like that idiot captain from Nekoma and his setter boyfriend. (if that was even considered long hair).

But while theirs just seemed to be mop you couldn't fix, Yamaguchi's was tidy and clean. It simply fell beside him, not seeming to be a bother. He resisted an urge to play with it, because if someone would notice, then everyone would know, and he was already pushing his luck with Yamaguchi leaning on him. So Tsukkishima simply looked at the boy and all of the little features that made him up.

His cute freckles dotting below his eyes and he slept with a small smile that made Tsukishima's heart flutter, as much as he disapproved it. 

Daichi looked over at the two and tried not to smile. "Tsukkishima! Can you wake Yamaguchi up? It's the middle of practice."

Tsukkishima jumped and his cheeks turned slightly pink. Yamaguchi stirred beside him.

He softly poked him and said, "Get up stupid." He muttered. 

"Sorry Tsukki," Yamaguchi muttered back in his sleep. 

"S-shut up Yamaguchi." He recited their usual banter and hid his ever-deepening blush with a hand against his cheeks. 

"Sorry, Tsukki." It was barely a breath this time, and Yamaguchi fell into his deep sleep again.

"Yamaguchi!" Daichi yelled, wishing he could keep them like that for a little longer.

Yamaguchi jumped, and yelled a little too loudly "Sorry Captain!" 

He quickly picked up a ball and half-heartedly served too fast. He almost tripped and fell on his face.

Daichi chuckled. "Don't forget to breathe first!"

Yamaguchi blushed. Tsukkishima inwardly cursed for him being so cute.

***

Practice again ended, and Suga had already put the gift plan into action. He pulled Yamaguchi aside and took a rose out of his locker.

"Yamaguchi!" He silently called him over to the locker room. "A girl in my class gave me this rose, but I'm not interested in her and it seemed like a waste to get rid of something so pretty...I was wondering if you wanted it to give to Tsukkishima?" He gave a knowing mothers smile.

"I thought you would give that to Daichi- wait for Tsukki? I-I  guess! Do you really think he'd like it? Do people do that?"

Suga registered Yamaguchi's words and fought back from acting like a giddy idiot. "I think he'd really like it! 

Yamaguchi softly held the brilliant crimson rose. "Thanks, Suga!" He looked nervous but pleased.

Suga waited until he knew Yamaguchi was gone. He knew everyone had left before. "Me, give that rose to Daichi? Haha...I-haha." His heart beat violently up to his throat and he had a wide smile.

He composed himself and stepped out the door. 

Yamaguchi ran towards Tuskkishima. 

"What took you so long?" Tuskkishima asked.

"Oh, I was just talking with Sugawara!" Yamaguchi smiled.

"Alright, here it is. Moment of truth." Yamaguchi thought, getting sweaty and not from practice. He stopped.

"T-Tsukki! I really like you! Will you uh, go to the movies with me?!" He stammered, holding out the rose. 

Tsukkishima took the rose and held his hand, walking like it hadn't happened. 

"I can't believe you confessed to me first." He muttered. 

"Sorry, Tsukki!" Yamaguchi said with a smile.

"When did you become so cool?" He said even softer. 

Behind their backs, Suga crossed off another pair in his red marker, and Daichi began to feel happier as their puzzles pieces started to be put into place.

Day 4 was filled with happiness, and they needed one last couple for the one last day.