"What did he look like?" I said, cautiously taking the cider.

"Err, long black coat and shirt. Scruffy beard." I immediately knew who he was talking about, zoning out as he continued to quietly explain. "Did you want me to take it back?" The barman asked.

"No, no. Thank you." I smiled and took a sip, jumping off the stool and making my way around the main corner of the bar. There, as I suspected, was a grumpy looking Alec with a glass of what I presume was lemonade.

"Hey." I walked up to him, swallowing my pride and standing by the stool next to him. "Do you mind if I join?" He nodded, grunting as he spun around to face, clearly disappointed that I was drinking after the events that transpired the night previous.

"Sure." He twanged with his thicker accent, conforming my theory that he was annoyed at me for being here.

"Didn't take you for the pub type." I chuckled, awkwardly trying to make small talk.

"I'm not." He replied, taking a sip of his drink. Rolling my eyes I took a huge gulp of mine, earning yet more disconcerting eyes from the man to my right.

"So, what did you come here to talk about?" I asked, a bit more sassily than I was planning for.

"To make sure you didn't get too drunk like last night." At least the man was straight to the point.

"I'm fine. I can take care of myself." He turned towards me, this time his knees against my stool so that I couldn't turn and leave.

"I know. But-" he paused, making me look at his expression. There was concern on his face.
"But I still worry." I couldn't help but chuckle, shaking my head at that response.

"Really? You clearly weren't worried when I was still staying in the Traders and when I moved into my own place. Or every night when I come down here to have a few drinks and a dance with the locals."

"Every night?" Of course he would pick up on that.

"Yeah, every night." I stopped talking and finished the rest of my drink, hopping off the stool. "See you tomorrow at work." I was done getting lectured by someone I hadn't properly seen in weeks.

"Alice-" I heard him stop and turned around, Mike holding against his chest.

"Is this man bothering you?" Mike asked, and I shook my head.

"I suggest you let me go." I saw him pull out his badge, immediately Mike took a step back, raising his hands up.

"Woah, sorry." He apologised, and I shook my head, turning away from the pub and walking back home.

"Alice- wait." I heard Hardy on the gravel, his breath slightly wheezy. "Wait." I stopped and faced him, his hands on his knees as he puffed out of breath.

"Jesus Alec." I took my arm around his waist and slowly walked us to the nearest bench, sitting him down to recover. "Is it your heart?" I asked, taking a seat next to him as he recovered.

"I'm fine. It's all fine." He leaned forward, still breathing heavily but slowing the rate down slightly. "You know, sometimes I forget the age difference between us." He looked down and the cliffside below, the vista of ocean surrounding us. Where had that come from?