Cat-Café

There came my human. Well, he wasn't exactly mine, but he's my favorite and I'm his favorite cat too, since he came for the first time almost three years ago and he comes here almost every day.

I live in a Cat-Café, a place where humans serve coffee for other humans and part of the profit goes to help street cats like me, we even have a special room where we stay most of the time. Once in a while, we escape to the part where the humans have their coffee.

And there I was, heading to Hiccup's favorite table in the corner, where he could observe everyone; his drawing book was already in hands and he opened it the moment he sat down. His attention came immediately to me as soon as I jumped on the chair closest to him.

He has grown so much this past three years. The first time I saw him, he was only fifteen and his mother brought him here to distract himself from a problem he was going through at the time. I was only a kitten, but was immediately attracted to him, however, he was scared at first —I have no idea why, I was a pretty baby then—, and he mentioned my very sharp baby teeth. Soon he changed his mind when I nudged him, wanting him to pet me. He changed his mind about me and told his mother "Look, he's so sweet it's like he doesn't have any teeth."

It was supposed to be a joke, but then the name Toothless stuck. And I have many names: Green Eyes, Black Cat, Shadow, Night Fury, Friday Thirteenth... Some are nice, others, not so much. But definitely the silliest one is my favorite because it was given to me by my favorite human.

Hiccup's hand caressed me the way I liked it and I kept nudging him whenever he thought he could stop. He brushed his long auburn bangs from his green eyes and grabbed his pencil and looked around the café, breathing in the smell of coffee I knew he loved.

He spotted some kids playing with a cat and his left hand got to work, putting the scene on paper. When his sketch was nearly done, someone approached him.

"Hi, may I take your order?"

"Yeah, same as always." He mumbled, too concentrated on his drawing.

"Would you mind telling me what it is? It's only my first day here."

He stopped drawing and looked up at the newbie girl. I could see his eyes going all over her and I don't know if part of it was because he was an artist and thus very observant, of if it had anything to do with his heart beating faster.

"Sorry... Astrid." He read her nametag, surprising her for a moment. "I'd like a Large Cappuccino and a chocolate brownie."

"Alright, I'll bring it right away." She smiled and walked away. Hiccup's eyes followed her to the counter and then he passed the page to start a new drawing.

Not to my surprise, it was the newbie girl. For a longer time than I wanted, he observed the girl and traced some more on the page. Tired of it, I meowed and he finally stopped going from the real thing to the drawing to face me.

"Hey, Bud. She seems like a nice girl, don't you think?" He whispered to me. "She's very pretty."

I guess, if you like a blue eyed blonde with heart-shaped face with a pretty smile...

"You've been around her for a while, right? What's she like?"

She's good at petting. And she smells like dogs, so she must have one at home, and maybe a parrot, too. I answered, but of course he could only understand meows. He smiled anyway and caressed me under the chin.

Hiccup soon got lost in thought, admiring his own work. Adjusting the bangs over her eyes, he didn't notice the waitress coming back. I had to act and prevent him from the embarrassment it was about to come.