|Chapter 19

"Nancy." His voice . . . That voice wasn't . . . That wasn't Jeremy's voice . . .

But . . . It can't be . . .

"D-Danny?"

|Chapter 19

All the oxygen was ripped from my lungs. My body completely numb as my head raced. Too much was happening it was like overload! But yet, here I was staring into Jeremy- no . . . It wasn't Jeremy anymore and that meant . . . He'd gotten his powers. But he wasn't supposed too! It was meant to be too late! He was supposed to be a squid the brother with no powers! And if that was Danny . . . Then . . . Danny was dead and thi- this was Jeremy's life for-

"Nancy." He said again, Danny's voice weaved itself from Jeremy's mouth throwing my mind into another whirlwind to the point it felt like I would pass out. How was this possible? Jeremy . . . Come back please! But instead, he stood as he took in his new body twirling his fingers into fists and creaking the bones in his shoulders with a satisfied groan. "I did not see this coming but it feels good. Real good to get this chance again."

Run to Shane.

The voice kept ringing in my brain like an alarm but my feet wouldn't move, my eyes unable to accept what they were seeing, my ears in denial of what they were hearing. This was impossible. This couldn't be happening . . .

"Do you know how long I waited for you? How many nights I spent searching for your worthless, pathetic ass?" He spat out, his eyes twisting in anger as spit flew across the air. That old feeling lodged itself into my stomach, the same one that warned me it would be another fight every time Danny had that look but this time was different. This time the voice in my head didn't warn me to stay quiet and curl up protecting my head from the damage . . . It warned me this was the end. This could be the last fight we'd ever have.

Cold dread leaped into my heart, that same fear I thought I'd never feel again, that I'd felt for years before bashing to life inside me came home.

"I died because of you," his voice was manic, his eyes wild. "I died looking for you! Did you even know that? Do you even care?! And what were you doing Nancy? Where were you huh? Shaking up with four brothers like a whore! I should have killed you when I had the chance you dirty worthless piece of shit!"

"D-Danny please-" his laugh cut me off, my foot taking a step back and creaking a branch.

"It's too late for that bitch." He breathed, his eyes blood shot. Even though it was still Jeremy's face . . . It was so contorted, so hollow and pale that I thought for a minute I was staring directly at Danny. The craze in his eyes was like nothing I'd seen before and I swear he'd seemed to grow inches taller. He took one step toward me, his lips pulling into a wild grin as his head titled closer towards me whispering, "Run."

That was it. Finally my feet dashed and I turned running towards the brightly coloured tents but I should have known better.

Within a second one arm wrapped around my waist lifting me from the ground and pressing me hard against his chest as the other hand wrapped tightly around my mouth silencing the scream that I tried letting out into the air.

Oh God Shane, please! Oh god!

He took large strides towards one of the tents bursting through and chucking me down hard on the ground so my back hit the side of the unused mattress. My fingers curled into the plastic, gripping for dear life as I lifted my head and peered through the strands of hair covering my vision. He stood by the entrance, his body towering above me as the air thinned. This was it. This was the end. And to think I thought I'd escape, to think I thought I finally made it out. Was this what Regan saw? Why did I fucking run?! Maybe this was how it was supposed to be. Maybe I was supposed to die all along.