» propreantepenultimate «

Start from the beginning

"Adrianna Ell-" cough and whimper, "Ellington Vasiliev," cough. She wanted desperately to clutch her chest, cry out in pain, something; she wanted the pain to stop, but she remained laying, unmoving.

"When is your birthday?"

"February," cough, "Fourteenth, two thousand."

"I see that you're in pain, yes? Can you explain to me where and how bad?

"My-" A series of dry, body shaking coughs erupted from her and she managed to choke out a small 'water, please,' and Phoenix wasted absolutely no time pouring some into a plastic cup and holding it to her chapped lips.

"Drink slowly, it might hurt your throat a bit," the doctor said and she nodded faintly.

Adrianna began to speak again once she was done, "My head, it's throbbing like a usual migraine I'd get, my-"

"And how often do you get migraines?"

"Three times a week? Four times?"

The doctor's eyes narrowed and it looked as if he was staring off in the distance, lost in thought for a split second before he nodded and wrote down notes.

"What else, Ms. Vasiliev?"

"My chest is like... searingly burning and my heart is thrumming violently in my chest, worse than I've ever felt it before," she stated in a faint and crumbling voice whilst the doctor scrawled away on his notepad.

"Do you have troubles sleeping at night?"

Adrianna made the slight movement of nodding her head before stilling and whimpering in pain and settling to speak. "I have chronic insomnia."

The doctor nodded before tucking his clipboard under his arm and walking over to Adrianna. She looked up at him with anxious eyes and he looked down at her with a crestfallen gaze.

"Adrianna, as for what happened to you," he took a deep breath, "Your heart stopped beating, for six minutes." Adrianna's eyes widened as her jaw fell ajar; she felt her heart seize in her chest as she gasped for air. Her eyes involuntarily flickered around the room and she saw all of their forlorn, melancholic eyes.

"I- what?"

"We've been running tests and it looks like you have dilated cardiomyopathy. This happens when your heart muscle is too weak to pump the blood needed. While your muscles stretch and become thinner, the chamber of your heart expands. In other words, you have an enlarged heart.

"The cause of this is most likely coronary artery disease, which we are running more tests to see if that is the case. But from now, you need to take life slow. Stress, anxiety, pressure, all of it has to stop. Share your stress, talk about your feelings regularly, and do not overwork yourself.

"The more you hold it in, the more you're allowing complications to rise within. Cardiomyopathy can lead to an irregular heartbeat, heart failure, or heart valve issues."

Adrianna listened intently, murmuring okay here and there.

"We're seeing that you will be here for the next two days; as for your pain, a nurse will come and decide if you will get more painkillers since you were given strong enough tranquillisers hours prior.