~chapter 3~

Hey everyone! I'm here and I already finished rewriting another part that no one asked for! Also- for full effect, play the song when I tell you to

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is this feeling in the pit of my stomach?
Why am I so close to Komaeda?
Why...?

All these questions flooded my mind. "It's... it's getting dark, we should leave" I finally said after breaking the awkward silence. "You're right, my fingers are getting all wrinkled from staying in the water for too long," Komaeda answers with a small chuckle.

We got up from the pool, said our goodbyes, and went into our cottages. "I'm really glad Komaeda is free now..."

Suddenly, I got an idea. An idea that might come off as weird to most of my classmates. Despite this, I immediately ran out of my cottage and into Ibuki's cottage. I knocked on her door and heard her, on the other side, jump out of her bed and run up to the door a second after I knocked. "Oh, hey Hinata! What brings you here?" Mioda asked after opening her door.

I looked around for anyone eavesdropping on us and replied. "I was wondering if you wanted to help me... host a party-" I was cut off by Ibuki's excited squeals as she yanked my arm for me to come inside.

"Who's it for?! What should I do?! Where do you think we should have it?! What-"
"Slow down! I can't understand anything you're saying."
"Okay! First question, who is it for?"
"Uh.... Komaeda"

She looked at me with a confused expression before continuing.

"What's the party for?"
"It's a welcome back party"

~~

We finished planning everything and we decided that the party was going to be held in 3 days.

"Ibuki is curious, why do you want to give Komaeda a party?
"I... I don't really know? I just thought... I'd do something nice for him."

I opened my mouth to speak but the words that came out didn't seem to match my feelings. I really didn't know why I wanted a party for him. I don't know a lot of things right now.

"I... maybe, I just missed him?"
"I thought so. Ibuki thinks you don't like to show appreciation for people because it's hard for you to express and be in touch with your feelings."
"W-What?"
"Like this situation now, you don't want to admit that you like being around Komaeda because we all don't. You have to go with what makes you happy, Hajime. You see parts of him the rest of us can't or choose not to."

What Ibuki said was very true. I hated to admit that the time I spent with Nagito was precious to me.

~~~

Ibuki said she would get the flyers later so I went back to my cottage. I thought about what she said earlier. Ibuki is always so happy optimistic. But today, I saw her serious side for the first time. Her words struck through me.

Instead of thinking about how it changes me too much, I should be thinking about what I should do with this advice.

——2 more days until the party——
(You can play the song now)

Every single time I thought about how close the party was, I got a weird feeling in my stomach.

For these past couple of days, I continued to hang out with Komaeda and kept the surprise party a secret.

Every morning after our time at the pool, Komaeda and I would always walk to the dining area for breakfast. Komaeda was usually the one waiting for me outside but this time, he apparently slept in. No big deal, I sleep in all the time. I went to wake him up since it didn't feel right to leave him behind.

"Hey, Komaeda... can I come in?" I said as I knocked on his door. No answer. I pressed my head against the door and faintly heard music playing.

"But I... I really shouldn't stay~"

I don't think I'll ever be able to forget the lyrics to this song. The words conveyed a lot of tough emotions but the song itself sounded soft or calm but also very sad. It was also a very short song, it ended as calmly as it began. The end of the song resonated in my ears until there was silence. I couldn't put it into words but it reminded me of Komaeda. There were so many similarities, it scared me.

The next song began playing and it pulled me out of my head, I noticed that the door was unlocked. "Uh, I'm coming in..." I walked in and saw him laying on his bed, his back facing me. He turned around, looked at me, turned off the music, and looked at me again.

"H-how long have you been standing behind that door?"
"Not that long... why? do you feel self conscious about your music?"
"Um, a little..."
"Really? It's okay though, I liked that song too..."

He got out of bed with an awkward chuckle before we left.

~~~

Nagito's been trying to avoid me lately, and I don't know why. He doesn't stop at my door to wake me up for breakfast anymore, I have to do that now. He stopped coming by my door to ask to spend time together, I have to do that now. I started to question if I did anything wrong. It sounded like he just wanted space, should I leave him alone? Maybe I can talk to him at the party.

——1 more day until the party——

I waited for Komaeda to start up a conversation with me but it never came. Is he... ghosting me?? But... Komaeda doesn't seem like the type to... is it even possible to ghost a friend? Did he use me? No, couldn't have used me since he didn't take anything from me. This is confusing. Maybe... he's just getting tired of me. That wouldn't be too far fetched since... I'm a very boring person.

Ibuki made the flyers and I passed them out to everyone except for Komaeda since we decided that it'd be a surprise welcome party.

"A surprise party?! I thought those were only in the movies and TV shows!" Sonia said excitedly.
"If there's food, there's me!" Akane said loudly, good thing Nagito wasn't there to hear.
"Sure, I-I don't s-see why n-not" Mikan said nervously.
"The Four Dark Devas of Destruction might be tough, but even they like to have fun" Tanaka admitted.
"Sounds like fun! Too bad the boys don't stay behind and let the girls have fun in peace" Mahiru pouted.
"Sure, I'm not gonna let another murder happen in a shitty-ass party again" Fuyuhiko agreed.
"Is Miss Sonia going? If she's going, I've gotta be there to protect her! Ya know, in case another murder happens" Souda confirmed.
"Sounds like something extroverts do, I'm in" Chiaki said astonishingly.
"I should come and make sure another murder does not happen again for the sake of our classmates" Peko complied.
"I go where the party is at! I hope you don't mind when I have to leave to take a massive SHIT!" Nekomaru laughed loudly, referencing the joke from the last party
"I'm coming with Mahiru so don't bother asking to go with me!" Hiyoko scowled.

Everyone, even Fuyuhiko is coming to this party. I hope it doesn't go downhill.