Chapter 6 - Underground

Comincia dall'inizio

Shining her flashlight around the place, (Y/N) stops at the wall they face and chuckle, making Nate turn to her. "It's the light. You need your headlights." She tells him and he laughs.

"(Y/N), you're a genius. Sully, aim your beam at the wall." The two aim their flashlights at the wall and it makes a noise, cracking open and sliding apart, revealing an underground.

"Well abra-goddamn-cadabra." Sully mutters.

"Umm, Nate, just who are we dealing with here?" Chloe questions, her voice filled with concern.

"There's only one way to find out. We'll track the car, you head back to the van." He replies, turning to her.

"We'll try and stay in radio contact." Cutter reassures her. "I'll let you know when we get through to the other side, all right?"

"Yeah, wherever the hell that is." (Y/N) mutters and Nate grabs her hand. "Just be ready for anything. Might be a quick exit."

"No doubt." Is all Chloe says, walking back out the way we came.

"She's the best driver in the business, you know." Cutter mentions. "So I've heard." Nate says, the wall closing shut behind.

Their flashlights stay on and they stare down, not seeing an ending. "Well, I think we agree this is more than a little weird." Cutter says and they start their way down.

"Who the hell drives their car underground?" Sully exclaims.

"Oh, let me think. Someone who doesn't want to be followed. You know, it's just a guess." Cutter replies.

Chuckling, (Y/N) glances back at them walking behind Nate and herself and she shakes her head. "Smart ass."

"It looks like they bored straight into the old service tunnels." Nate says, distracting her away from Cutter.

They keep going through the tunnel, until he turns to a doorway and finds it locked. Taking out his pistol, he easily shoots the lock off and pushes the door open, leading them down a few steps. He comes across metal pipes and a tiny gap, which he begins to shimmy though. "We should be able to squeeze through here. I think."

"Lead on, Macduff." Sully says, waiting.

"Oh for gods sake." Cutter sighs.

"What?"

"Lay on. It's lay on Macduff." Cutter tells him.

The two follow behind Nate and (Y/N) goes last, breathing in at how closed together the space is. "Can we hurry it along please, cowboy?" She calls.

Ducking under a piece of pipe, she watches out not to hurt herself and takes a glance at Charlie next to her. "You alright?"

"Yeah, yeah, you know... just not keen on the old tight spaces, that's all." He replies.

"Just keep moving." She says and finally, the space ends and she stumbles out into the open clearing. "Oh, thank God for that."

"Who the hell is Macduff?" Nate asks, the thought obviously playing on his mind. "Is there no bottom to your ignorance?" Cutter says.

Both Sully and (Y/N) laugh, but instantly stop at the shine of a flashlight from the room ahead. Nate quickly takes out the two men patrolling and the four continue into the room, taking out the next two that join.

(Y/N) climbs the ladder first, walking out onto a metal, rustic bridge overhead of the tunnel. "Tunnel's right below us. We're on the right path." She says, walking across.

Dropping down the ledge, she sighs at the water that had now soaked her legs and the bottom of her dress from the fall.

"Bad day to have worn a dress, darling." Cutter states, smirking. Rolling her eyes, (Y/N) pushes him and he chuckles at her attempt.

Nate clears his throat, pointing to their direction and going towards it. "Woah, that is a long way down." He breathes, having almost walked straight out of the doorway.

Slowly, he shows them the way down by climbing the pipes around the wall until their feet touches ground again. Taking out the next two men, they continue on into the room, the water soaking their feet.

Nate takes the job of climbing more pipes and the ladder, kicking it down. Once at the top, he turns and gives (Y/N) a hand, helping her up, which earns him a small kiss.

"Looks like there's some sort of gate up there." He points out. He goes to climb the wall and (Y/N) notices the two levers they have to pull, so she motions to Cutter.

"How 'bout you? Little help." She questions, standing under the half broken ladder.

"Sure, I got you." He stands underneath it, cupping his hands and boosting her up to it, averting his eyes. She climbs up and Nate waits, patiently, his hand on the lever.

"Ready? Pull." He instructs once she gets there, and in sync they pull them, allowing the gate to fall open.

"Okay, Charlie, Sully, come on." Nate instructs, the two climbing onto the gate.

"There's the tunnel again." Cutter points out once he's up and they're walking across another bridge. "That's too far to drop though, we'll break our damn necks." Sully replies.

Nate notices their path is a dead end, and points to the gap in the wall, leading them down even further. "Where the hell are we headed now?"

Dropping down further, the four are confused by how it looks like the place has been dug about and there seems to be a built area in front. Bricks lay about the place and an old elevator sat at the side, unused.

"What in the world?" (Y/N) breathes.

"Charlie, who the hell are we dealing with here?" Nate questions.

"I don't know, mate, but whoever they are, they are seriously weird. Look at the ironwork. It's gotta be Victorian, maybe older." Cutter says, walking into the built area.

"Man, all this stuff's been rusting for a century." Nate approaches the metal gate of another elevator, hoping to lift it up entirely and go under. "Maybe, we can get though here."

The four crouch down and try to lift it, but with no luck. "No way we're moving that."

Nate looks up and points. "Hey, wait. There's a counterweight up there. Looks like it's stuck. One of us should climb up there and see if they can dislodge it." He states, turning to the three.

"Good idea. Guess who?" (Y/N) hums, smiling and the other two boys laugh and Nate glares. "I'll get you back, (L/N)." He says, turning to go.

Chuckling, she waves her hands. "I'm so scared."

Nate manages to dislodge the counterweight and the three below once again crouch down, pulling it up.

"Got it?" (Y/N) asks and the two nod. Slowly, she crawls her way under and Cutter groans. "Yeah, take your time."

Coming out the other side, she grabs it and Sully joins her, followed by Cutter and they drop it, turning to face the area behind them.

"What the hell is this place?"