~Chapter 9~

A sudden bright light slipping through the  curtains of the window starts waking you up.

"Wake up, y/n." a familiar voice says and you can hear their footsteps around your room. However, you're too sleepy to figure out who it is, so you just groan and hide your face under the pillows. The more you wake up, the more you remember everything with Bucky, making you want to drown yourself in those pillows, but suddenly, the familiar person pulls the covers away from you and this time they open the curtains fully, finally waking you up.

"Y/n, come on. You need to get up." and now you finally recognize their voice. Peggy.

"Dammit, I should've never given you my spare keys." you say groggily.

"Come on, you've been in bed all day. Everyone at work was wondering where you were." she says, putting her hands on her hips in a motherly way.

"I don't care." you groan. You hear Peggy sigh and you feel the weight shift on the mattress when she sits on the edge of the bed.

"I heard about Bucky..." she starts. "I'm so sorry... but I'm sure he'll be fine." in that moment, you sit up and finally look at her. Your ruffled hair almost covering your whole face. "Oh, y/n..." she says when she sees your red eyes from crying so much. She quickly comes closer to you and brings you into a tight hug. When she does that it's like all the strength you had built to not cry is destroyed and you start crying into her shoulder. After a while she pulls out of the hug and looks at you.

"Y/n, you're one of the strongest women I know, so you've got to pick yourself up just like you've always done, and get out of this bed." she says, standing up with renewed energy.

"I don't know, Peg..." you say as you look down and play with your fingers. "This is different."

"It doesn't have to be." she says. "Come on, let's go get you ice cream, that hasn't changed, has it?"

You and Peggy have always had this tradition that whenever either of you were feeling down for whatever reason, you would cheer each other up by going to your favorite ice cream shop in Brooklyn. You sigh before finally agreeing and getting out of bed.

-

As you walk towards the ice cream shop, you could feel the streets being colder than ever. However, Peggy is able to cheer you up to the point where you finally vent out all your feelings and tell her everything. You finally get to the shop where you're greeted by the friendly owner.

"Good evening." the old Italian woman greets you with a thick Italian accent.

"Good evening." Peggy smiles. "Could we have a vanilla and...." she turns to you. "The usual?" she asks you and you nod. "....vanilla and (your favorite flavor) ice cream, please."

The woman makes the ice cream and she gives them to you after Peggy pays. One of the things you loved about this shop was that the ice cream were like fortune cookies since they came with a fortune-teller note. Peggy opens hers and chuckles when she reads what it says.

"Love will find its way to you soon, make sure to keep an eye out." she reads. "Yeah, we'll see about that." she chuckles to herself and then looks at you. "What does yours say?" you weren't really in the mood for a fortune-teller note so you shake your head in disbelief and read the note.

"Times might seem dark, but a greater good is coming your way." you read. For some reason, this catches your attention and you get lost in your own thoughts while reading it over and over again until Peggy breaks you out of your trance.

"Hey, is everything alright?" she asks.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine..." you say. "Let's go."

You and Peggy spent the rest of the day walking around Brooklyn and for a few, very brief moments, she was able to make you forget about Bucky, but again, only for a short moment. You loved this about her, no matter how bad the situation was, she would always make you laugh and make you feel better, it was one of her many talents. You didn't know what you'd do without her, but to be honest, she thought the same about you. Thanks to her amazing skills at making you smile, you were able to get through the day without crying.