I Know What I Have to Do.....

A week went by, Nadia was still unconscious. 

Gadget however, had recovered substantially from his mental disorders, so had the rest of the Resistance, even though they all still had to wear the mental monitors, and the monitor chip that had been installed in their headsets, since they technically still had the disorders. 

Gadget had moved back to the bunkhouse within the week, and news of him taking down Infinite spread like wildfire. 

With the truth of Infinite arrested and out of the war, the shattered Rookiez agents found a glimmer of hope.

 "We could win the war!" A female agent proclaimed, the same one who had questioned Gadget before he left to fight Infinite, mental monitor blinking a gold color. 

Gadget smiled and nodded, they could win back the world. 

The agents were doing progressively better in their PTSD and depression therapy and were able to continue fighting battles. 

Commander Knuckles came into the bunkhouse. 

"I am very proud of all you rookies, not only are you fighting through your mental traumas, but you are continuing to fight for what's right." Knuckles announced, filled with the same light of hope that Rookiez was, it was now closer to the Resistance than ever. 

As the now enlightened soldiers conversed on how good life will be when the war ends, Knuckles went up to Gadget. 

"You need to come with me. We need to talk." Knuckles' voice was hardly above a whisper, and was completely different in tone from his previous statement, but Gadget couldn't tell what emotion the tone was, just that it was negative.

 "Ok." Gadget said, if the commander wanted to tell him something with that tone, it couldn't be good. Gadget felt his hope drain out of him, and his depression well up in its place. 

It didn't feel pleasant. 

His mental monitor's lights went from slowly blinking gold, to moderately blinking a deep heavy blue. The philosophy of 'No news is good news' filled his mind, what was going on? 

"Agent Gadget." A familiar voice spoke grimly. Kimberly was here. 

"What happened to Nadia?" Gadget immediately responded with worry. 

Doctor Kimberly and Commander Knuckles sighed. A long silence descended into the room and onto its inhabitants. 

"We have to let her go...." Kimberly finally told him. 

"What?" 

"She hasn't shown any signs of waking up, or getting better, but she's in a lot of pain." 

"We have to just let her die." Knuckles muttered blankly, in an attempt to mask his own emotions from the rookie. 

Gadget didn't respond.

He couldn't respond.

 He just sank in his chair, trying desperately not to cry. His mental monitor's deep blinking blue became darker and more substantial, until it quit blinking, and the deep, highly depressing blue was nothing but a ray of despair.

"It's the only humane thing to do, Gadget. It isn't fair to keep her alive if she isn't going to wake up." Kimberly continued.

 "But...." Gadget whimpered. "Can't I say goodbye?"

 "No. It just needs to be a clean break. You're already going to struggle enough with the loss." Kimberly answered harsher than she normally would.

 "We have something worked out for you though, if you'll agree."

 "What?" Gadget said, now half listening.

 "If you'll agree, we'd like to, before we cut the life support, use a medical procedure to give you and her a child."

 Gadget started listening.

 His mental monitor quickly flashed a singular bright yellow ray that didn't even last a second.

 "What?"

 "She's an amazing soldier, so are you, and since we know how much you love each other, we would like to know if you'll be willing to keep a part of her alive, even though she won't be on Mobius." Knuckles explained.

 "We understand if you don't want to, it's a very hard decision for an eighteen year old to make." Kimberly told him.

 It was.

 He was eighteen and still in war.

 He thought about it for quite a while until he made his decision.

 "I'll do it, I want to raise her pups." Knuckles and Kimberly exchanged glances, ones that said 'We'll correct him later.' Gadget stood up to go.

 "Have a good day, soldier, we'll come get you in a few hours for the operation." Gadget walked out and closed the door.

 He paused.

Took a few deep breaths as he processed what had happened.

 Clenched his fists for a second.

 His mental monitor flashed silver once.

 And he ran towards Nadia's room.

Author's Note: An explanation on the whole 'child' thing before I get asked: Knuckles and Kimberly knew that Gadget would grieve endlessly over Nadia, and this was an attempt to keep him... distracted so-to-speak. Talking Grief Stages, this would probably fall under Bargaining, they're trying to give Gadget something (In this case, a baby) that would help end his grief. 

If you have any more questions about that, feel free to PM me.....