A Bow, A Blade, and A Mind

Paul climbed out of the sewer entrance, making sure to shut the trapdoor behind him as he rose up and looked around. The city was still as dark and desolate as ever. Still, he had to be alert. Who knew if those mindless animals could relay information to their demonic masters? They couldn't find out about the hideout, no matter what.

He stepped out of the alley and into the streets, eyes scanning his surroundings with each step. Where was that insufferable bird...?

As he turned another corner and found himself standing near the long "chimney" from the underground camp, he noticed something in the corner of his eye. Something was up there. He turned his gaze upwards, and...

Razorwing stood on the thin surface surrounding the hole, far above the human. He stood tall, talons close together and latched onto the stone, arms crossed and a cocky grin on his beak, robe and shoulder cape flowing in the wind.

Paul gestured fervently for Razorwing to get down. The koutu took a step forward...and fell right off the side, plummeting to the ground.

Just as it seemed like he was going to end up a splatter on the city streets, he unfurled his wings and pulled himself up, breaking his fall and flying towards Paul. As he approached he pulled straight up, breaking his momentum and landing on the ground softly. He looked at the human with a confident grin.

"Let us go forth!"

"What the hell was that?!" the bounty hunter said in a half-whisper, "Are you TRYING to get caught by them?!"

The koutu shrugged. "I scanned the area and found nothing...besides, as I told you before, they require direct sight. Whoever or whatever is firing those...blasts, you must be high up in the sky, where anyone can see you. I could not be seen from so low a perch."

"Yeah yeah, just be careful not to get blown away, you dope."

Razorwing put a hand to his chest. "Crux...! Are you...worried about me?"

"That's not what-"

"Ooh, I'm touched, truly! I wouldn't want you getting hurt either! We shall protect one another, than!"

Paul's eye twitched.

"...now's not the time for games, bird. Let's go."

The koutu's cocky attitude dampened. "Right...you're right. I'll square the jabs away...we're back on the job, now."

"That's more like it," the human said with a nod, walking ahead.

The pair began making their way into the city. Before they had met out in the streets, Razorwing simply used his wings to fly around, but...his new friend was unable to do so, and it didn't feel right to just leave him alone out here.

So he had stayed grounded, just so the pair could stick together.

Not to say he wouldn't use his flight to his advantage in combat, but traveling was now slow once again. He had offered to carry Paul once, and the look he had gotten told him all he needed to know; carrying around the human was only for serious situations.

Perhaps if he fell into a pit or there was an obstruction blocking their escape, but otherwise he seemed dead set on sticking to his own two feet.

That was fine. That little rescue mission with Alexander and Senci had really tired him out, so he was content with not flying people around all the time.

As the two made their way deeper into the city, they went back the same way Paul had traveled to reach The Citadel. Razorwing hadn't been there for most of it, but the bounty hunter knew where he was going.