14

As if he wasn't unsettled before, now Tony has to attempt to comprehend that his five year old, abused, introverted, selectively mute child has weird ninja assassin skills that allow her to go up against the literal Black Widow without even breaking a sweat. Being an incredible athlete is one thing, this is another.

Her tiny hand clings to his as they walk through the corridors but her eyes don't lift from the floor. Not a word has left her mouth since the gym and a nagging thought at the back of Tony's brain worries that she isn't going to talk again.

Giovanni walks a few steps in front, checking over his shoulder regularly that Gianna is still there. His shoulders are a little more tense than before, signalling to the mechanic that both of the twins are on edge.. and at this point, who isn't? Everybody is shaken and confused, unsettled.

They take the elevator down to the lobby, the metal box filled with a silent nothingness, resembling something like an itch that you can't get rid of. Gia's eyes watch the numbers decline, the white lights flashing all the way from seventy-three to zero. After what feels like an eternity of an awkward interval, the doors slide open and the strange voice in the ceiling announces that they've reached the lobby.

It's pretty impressive, Tony is still silently proud of the room himself. The walls and floor are constructed of a dark marble, pretty much screaming rich to every single person who lives in New York. Glass makes up the entire front wall, spinning doors allowing a steady stream of people to enter and leave of their own accord. People in business suits mill around the reception, exchanging files with the occasional phone held between their shoulder and ear.

Anyone who wasn't searching might not have noticed the ordinary-looking couple with a small boy and a bear making their way through the lobby, too distracted by the owner of the building exiting the elevator with two children.

They make a beeline straight for the people with the dog, greeting them with gentle words and smiles before retreating back into the box they came from. No one is given a chance to question the odd situation, left questioning whether it actually happened.

Meanwhile, Gianna can't fight the smile on her face.

Although moments before she felt like her life was over, now she's stood with her favourite people and her favourite animal and for the minute that's all she's thinking about. The fluffy dog sits diligently and protectively at her feet, his eyes seeking out her face every so often to make sure she's okay. His fur tickles a warm kind of comfort on her legs, his head level with her chest. Admittedly, Gianna is not a big five year old.. in fact she's incredibly small, but that doesn't change the fact that Nemesis is a huge dog.

Ben has an equally as huge dog bed slung over his shoulder, grinning down at his nephew and the twins as they babble about kid things. His wife holds a bag containing numerous different dog toys and snacks, a just as fond smile on her face as a result of the excitable children.

Tony pretty much forgets about what just happens for the first few minutes. Gia and Geo are so content and he's getting another glimpse at the ordinary children under the timidity and silence. It's just nice to see them like this without thinking about the more sinister side to the twins that he can't quite figure out, no one can quite figure out.

They get out in the common room, ditching the dog stuff in the corner of the space to be sorted later on. Nemesis does a perimeter check, sniffing every corner and checking for crumbs around the kitchen. Once satisfied that the place is safe, he returns to Gianna's side and presses his head against her hand for a rub.

Gia happily complies, sinking her fingers into the fur and massaging the animal until he practically slumps into her with a grunt of contentment. All three of the kids giggle at the dog and fuss over him on the floor.