Chapter 37: The Bitch Is Dead

Evangeline POV:

The second we had arrived at the hospital, Damon was gone. The entire car ride had been torturous as I listened to my brother go from angry to sad and then angry again, all the while he spoke about Elena Gilbert. It was a miracle I could remain in the car that long when all I could think of was Alaric and how he lay dead at the storage facility.

Alaric had been Damon's best friend and one of mine as well, but while he was all I could think of Damon was grieving Elena Gilbert. It just proved how deep she had her claws in Damon's skin.

I sat now outside the hospital as I awaited word from one of my brothers, I'd have to wait for them to go before I could pay my respects to the dearly departed. "What are you doing out here?" The voice startled me and I spun around.

"Elijah," I muttered, "now isn't the time."

Elijah didn't heed the warning and instead took a seat on the bench beside me. "I thought you should know I've decided to leave town, Rebekah will stay." His voice was neutral and I wondered how he could conceal his feelings so well when his brother had just died.

"Why are you leaving?"

"It's time for me to move on." He declared, his voice still remaining in it's neutral phase. "I came here to kill my brother and then I wanted to help him, but now he's gone so I have no reason to stay here."

I mulled over the explanation, it was highly unlikely Elijah had no reason to stay. Rebekah was staying here and normally that would be enough for Elijah to stay, they had an extraordinary bond much like the one I had with my brothers. "What about Rebekah? She's staying."

"That was her decision."

"What about me?"

"You're welcome to join me if that's what you wish, but if assume you'll remain here with your brothers to help them through Elena's unfortunate fate."

"Unfortunate my ass." I snorted, but I instantly felt bad saying something such as this when her death had killed Alaric as well. That would be the only reason I'd want her to remain here. "Elena deserved what she got and we freed ourselves from Alaric and your mother, I consider that a victory."

"I would be disturbed by your attitude, but it was you who had suggested killing Elena just this morning."

"Feels like an eternity ago."

Elijah didn't say anything else and instead sat in silence beside me, watching as a car pulled into the lot. I recognized it as Caroline's and it was confirmed when she climbed from the driver's seat.

Her eyes were red and her cheeks were blotchy and tear streaked. I actually pitied her. She had just lost the love of her life and one of her closest friends, but then again, I had lost two people as well. No matter how much I disliked Niklaus and wanted him to remain in his coffin for a while, I never once wanted him dead.

"Caroline!" I called to her as I got to my feet, she looked over and I could see a bit of anger flare up in her eyes. "Any word on Elena?"

The blonde crossed her arms as Elijah also got up from the bench. "Have you come to gloat? Mock? Tell us how excited you are to finally be rid of her? Because if that's the case you can leave."

"No, that's not what I came." I lied, eyeing the vampire. "I came to support my brothers."

Caroline's eyes fell next on Elijah. "And why is he here? It's his psycho sister that killed Elena in the first place."

"You're so cynical."

"I'm cynical? I'm cynical?"

"Yes, you're cynical. You think everyone around you is out to get you or your friends, you can't even take one second to accept that someone could be here for someone other than themselves. I'm here for my brothers, not to gloat Elena's corpse. If I was then I'd be in there right now crying tears of-"