Chapter 36: Gone Wrong

Evangeline POV:

“What?” I shrieked, looking between my brother and Caroline. This was their plan and they were supposed to execute it perfectly. They were supposed to account for every possibility and they’d just let the entire thing go wrong. “I knew Damon had to have done something, but you let Klaus die? Do you know what that means?”

A hand was placed on my shoulder and I spun around to stare at Elijah, he was acting far too calm right now. “Shouting isn’t going to help anything.”

“My brother could be dead right now!”

“And my brother is dead; you need to keep yourself together.”

“I can’t! In a matter of minutes I’m going to be dead, Katherine is going to be dead, my brothers will be dead, even Caroline is going to be dead! And for what? Just so Elena could live her petty human life? Because of that bitch, thousands of vampires are going to die.”

“Do you think I’m unaware of that?”

“You didn’t seem to think of it when you let her live! One snap and none of this would be happening.”

“But it is and you are wasting time. Do you really want your last moments to be spent thinking of a girl you hate?”

“If they involve her head mounted on my wall, then I don’t mind.”

“So you would rather think of Elena than say goodbye to those people?”

I pressed my lips together for a moment and glanced back at Stefan; Caroline had somehow managed to disappear. “You’re right.” I stated as I looked back to Elijah who relaxed visibly. “Can we have some privacy?”

Elijah nodded his head and disappeared in the blink of an eye. It wasn’t until I looked back at Stefan that I realized I’d never see Elijah again. “I’m sorry Eva, I can under—“

“Stop apologizing Stefan.” I interrupted my brother, yanking him into a hug. “You couldn’t help who you loved, even if she was a heartless and deceitful bit—the point is that I forgive you, for everything you did to me in the name of Elena. I should have been supportive from the beginning and I apologize for all the times I’ve tried to kill doppelbi—Elena.” Stefan laughed dryly as I continued. “It’s because I didn’t see your point of view that this is happening right now.”

“When we survive this and find out Klaus lied, I’m going to make you explain that to me.”

I smiled and let Stefan out of my hug with a sigh. “I’m going to share in your optimism and say that I’ll see you later.”

“Where are you going?”

“To see Damon, he’s my brother too.”

“You’ll never make it in time!”

“Then I guess I better run fast. Besides, if Klaus lied then I have all the time in the world to get there.”