Chapter 44

Loki wouldn't let you go down to breakfast without him the next morning. He went so far as to drag you back into the bed with him when you looked too impatient to leave Thor's room. You weren't comfortable here and now that you were awake you really wanted to get out of here before Thor got back and got mad at you for being in here in the first place.

"He won't mind us being in here. He wants us safe and happy, and prefers when I am not homicidal," Loki reminded you again as he hauled you back into the bed with him. "I mind you trying to go out there alone when there are strangers here. You don't have your powers or useful combat training. I'm not letting you get stolen from me again," he reminded you as he pulled you closer and tucked you safely back in his arms against his side. It was such a hardship. Such a hardship indeed. You kissed his cheek and contented yourself in cuddling with him for awhile longer.

[All my clothes are downstairs] you reminded him when you finally got out of bed. He kissed you and your clothes shimmered to jeans, a t-shirt with a picture of his helmet on it, and one of his hoodies. You were usually ok having your scars showing around the tower, even around town, especially with Loki at your side. You leaned up to kiss him in reply.

"No trouble, my darling wife," he replied. "It's a simple spell, I'll teach it to you after breakfast," he told you warmly. You lit up in excitement and he chuckled and bopped your nose. "But you have to eat something more than a milkshake," he told you teasing, but firm. You grinned and nodded and took his hand to lead him from the room. He laughed and went with you, closing Thor's bedroom door behind you.

You walked hand-in-hand with your Loki to the elevator and happily laid your head on his arm. He smiled warmly and kissed the top of your head. A perfectly content, happy Loki.

Until the elevator doors opened, not on the main floor, but on your floor. Loki snarled and shoved you backwards behind him when one of the sweaty workment moved to get on the elevator. It was the same one who nearly died yesterday.

"Why is it always me?" he asked himself as Loki drew two daggers out of thin air. The worker held up his hands, showing he was unarmed and took a step backwards. "I'll catch the next elevator," he told Loki.

You moved quickly, stepping between Loki and the worker and smacked the daggers out of his hands, glad he taught you that little trick. You raised a finger at him glaring up at him, scolding him for scaring the nice worker. He glared right back and you smashed the close elevator button.

[Stop trying to kill the workers] you signed at him quickly.

"But-"

[No buts. He didn't do anything]

Loki glared. "He threatened what's mine," he snarled, furstrated that you weren't understanding.

[He surrendered and backed away. Be reasonable, husband] Loki wrapped his arms around you and kissed the top of your head.

"I worry over you, darling. It's my right as your husband," he reminded you.

[Can you worry without killing innocent mortals?]

He huffed. "I'll try," he conceeded. You kissed his cheek and stepped off the elevator when it opened again.

Clint was making breakfast again this morning and Nat was looking over files on the dining room table. "Bout time you two got up," Clint teased. "Tony was threatening to eat all of Loki's french toast if you didn't get up soon," he added with a grin at Stark,

"I did no such thing. Don't get me defenestrated. Even I'm not dumb enough to come between Loki and his dessert for breakfast foods," Tony grumbled. He was at the dining room table working on a piece of tech with a screwdriver. "Kid, can you keep your husband from throwing me out the window?" Tony asked you. You nodded and took Loki's hand to haul him into the kitchen so you could both get breakfast.