Chapter 3

You spent most of the rest of the day teaching Loki signs, especially for things he would find interesting or useful. 'Book', 'Loki', and 'idiot brother' were among the highlights. He showed you small pieces of magic in exchange. You felt you were getting the better deal here, but he didn't seem to mind. The Avengers kept floating through the room, checking on the two of you, especially since you were both on house arrest according to SHIELD's official reports. They also kept apologizing to you for leaving you with no company besides Loki, but they were all busy. You reassured them multiple times that it was fine and he was good company. They didn't believe you, but you and Loki were both out of trouble, so they accepted the answer.

You were delighted with each illusion and bit of magic he showed you and he spent all day trying to outdo each one with something better the next time. He seemed pleased each time he earned a delighted grin from you.

You actually giggled in delight when he shapeshifted to have cat ears on top of his head. It was so adorable. You realized an instant too late what you had done and clapped your hands over your mouth, eyes wide in horror. His grin evaporated in an instant when he saw your sudden change in expression. The cat ears on his head drooped as his expression turned to concern. He held up his hands, showing he was unarmed. "Love? It's alright." His voice was soft, gentle. "Everything's alright. I'm not going to hurt you. You're safe here with me," he reminded you, softly, soothing. You slowly lowered your hands from your mouth, though you still looked him over, worried. "Is it the ears?" he asked gently once your hands were back in your lap. You shook your head. "Tell me, darling, please. I want to help, but I can't help unless I know what scared you,"

Your fingers flew through your answer frantically [Areyouok?You'renothurtareyou?I'msosorry.Pleasetellmeyou'reok!]

He gave you a small, warm smile and he cat ears perked back up in amusement. "Alright, love," he said so gently and patiently. There was just a hint of teasing in his next words. The teasing actually helped. He was ok if he could tease. "That's progress from the terrified horror-struck expression, but darling, I can't understand you. You're talking too fast," he reminded you softly. He had only learned so many signs in one afternoon. His tone was amused, though. Not angry. "Take a breath," he bid you gently. You did, taking one, then another, surprised when he counted them for you, somehow knowing how to soothe a panic attack. "Good, love," he smiled reassuringly when your breathing had calmed. He handed you the pad of paper and pen. "Try again?" he asked gently. He wouldn't press, wouldn't force you to tell him, but he wanted to help.

You nodded and scribbled quickly: Are you ok? You're not hurt? Your words were shaky, but legible. You were still more shaken than you were letting on. It didn't matter that he had been ok enough to walk you through a panic attack, you were still concerned until he confirmed that he was alright.

"I'm fine, darling. It will take much more than a giggle from an adorable lady to take me out," he laughed, finally calming the last of your worry. You sighed in relief. Your concern and relief were so genuine that he put together the story he knew and what you hadn't said yet. "The dangerous, uncontrollable power you said you have... it is in your voice, correct?"

You hesitated, looking down at your lap with embarrassed tears in your eyes. You finally gave him a tiny nod.

"That is nothing to be ashamed of," he told you softly. You didn't believe him, and you were more ashamed that you had blundered after years of being so careful. A flash of green magic drew your attention back over to his side of the couch. You looked to see what magic he had used to try to cheer you up with. You weren't expecting whatever it was to work, until you saw the sleek black cat with bright green eyes sitting in Loki's spot on the couch.