Chapter 6

"Hey." Someone said loudly in my ear.

I jumped, opening my eye's, feeling something pull across my chest. I shook my head, reorientating myself. I'd obviously fallen asleep, but now, now someone had woken me up.

I glanced across at Matt.

"Nice nap?" He chuckled, raising his eyebrows at me.

I ignored him, moving my head from side to side. I must have fallen asleep in a weird position because now I had a kink in my neck.

"I'm going to stop soon." Matt said. "Have some lunch and a pit stop and yeah well." He said smirking down at my phone. "Give you a chance to return the 800 calls you received."

I frowned and looked down at my phone. I'd eventually turned the vibrate off so I didn't know if it was ringing and now I had a ton of missed calls from Scott, plus a few unpleasant text messages.

"Sounds good." I mumbled, putting my head phones in the centre console and attempting to neaten up my appearance.

I glanced out the window, having no clue where we were. "Where are we?" I asked him.

"Not too far from Vegas." He told me. "The traffic is pretty good so we're making pretty good time."

I nodded not really caring because my stomach had started rumbling and I realised that I was actually pretty hungry.

I stared out the windscreen, hoping for a sign as to when the next rest stop might be. Luckily I didn't have to wait long before a big sign appeared alerting us to one coming up in 2 miles.

I started wiggling in my seat because I realised how badly I now needed the toilet.

"Ant's in your pants?" Matt asked, smirking at me.

His smirk turned into a frown as his phone began vibrating in the centre console.

It would seem I wasn't the only one who needed to return a call.

Finally we pulled into the rest stop and before Matt had even turned the car off I was out, trotting inside to the toilet.

Once I'd finished I went and washed up, looking at myself in the mirror. I looked a bit of a fright, but I shrugged at myself. Who cares? I was only going to be sitting in the car for the day so my appearance really didn't matter.

I walked back outside, figuring that I had better call Scott back and I looked around, finding a little spot that was out of the way of the people who were coming and going.

I pulled out my phone and called his number. I really wasn't looking forward to the call, not at all.

I rolled my eye's, not surprised as it went to his voicemail. I mean what did I expect?

"Yeah it' me." I muttered into the phone. "I'm returning your calls."

I hung up and turned around just as Matt walked out, spying me and walking over to where I was.

"I just gotta make a call." He told me. "Then we can grab something."

I nodded, watching him pull out his phone, then suddenly my phone started ringing and Matt raised his eyebrows at me as he lifted his phone to his ear.

I turned away, facing my back to Matt as I answered. "Hello."

"Well how nice of you to call back." Scott snapped at me.

"I was napping." I blurted out, realising how fucking ridiculous that sounded.

"Oh how nice." Scott went on. "Napping while Matt drives."

"Well I wasn't napping and driving." I said dryly, feeling irritated at the way he was speaking to me.

"I can't believe you're with him." Scott snapped. "Of all the people you had to go with him?"

"Well." I hissed down the phone at him. "You really didn't leave me much choice Scott, I didn't exactly have a lot of notice."

"I offered you the car." He growled. "You could have driven yourself, or you could have flown, but not go with him for Christ sake Evangeline."

I rolled my eye's feeling angry that after all of these years Scott and Matt still had some kind of school boy feud going on. I knew they hated each other at school, but we were adults now, surely they'd grown up. Apparently not.

"Look." I said, lowering my voice so that Matt didn't over hear. "We were both going to the same place, it seemed to make sense to go together, that's all."

"You know what he's like." Scott said, sounding calmer.

"Scott." I said reassuringly. "Yes I do, but we are going to Boston for a wedding, that's it, I mean we've barely spoken."

"Good." Scott grumbled and I smiled a little, enjoying his jealously.

He was jealous because Matt had always been a ladies man and I guess he was concerned I would succumb to his charms. That wasn't likely to ever happen, never again.

"I SAID NO." Matt suddenly boomed and I swung around to see him scowling down at the ground, phone to his ear.

"Is that him?" Scott asked and I turned away quickly and Matt glanced at me.

"Um yeah." I muttered. "He's talking to someone on his phone." 

"Acting like an asshole as usual." Scott said and I bit my tongue, because I wanted to tell Scott that he too, was a bit of an asshole, but I didn't, I didn't want a fight right now, I was already on edge having to spend so much time with Matt. "Anyway I'll let you go." Scott went on. "Text me tonight and let me know where you are."

"Yep." I said. "I will."

"I assume you're stopping at hotel?" Scott asked.

"Yeah we are." I said. "But I don't know where and I have no clue what time."

"Okay." Scott said. "Text me when you get there." And he hung up.

Typical Scott, no emotion what so ever, absolutely none.

I turned around to face Matt just as he started hissing down the phone.

"You just don't get it do you." And he hung up, shoving the phone into his pocket. "So." He suddenly said, looking at me. "Let's eat."

I nodded, following him inside towards a booth, where we sat down.

Matt grabbed a menu as a waitress appeared with some water. "Drinks?" She asked, smiling at us.

"Coffee please." I said, returning her smile.

"Same." Matt mumbled, not looking up from the menu.

"Okay." She went on. "I'll give you a few minutes and then I'll be back to take your order."

I nodded and went back to the menu. I already knew what I was having. Just a salad, the last thing I needed was to have something greasy and then throw up in Matt's car.

"So." Matt said, placing his menu down and smirking at me. "How is Weasel?"

I looked at him and couldn't help but laugh. I felt bad for laughing but I hadn't heard anyone call Scott Weasel for years and hearing it had sounded funny.

"Probably shouldn't call him that." I said, stopping my laughing and looking at him.

Matt shrugged. "Can't help it." He said. "He's a Weasel, always will be."

I shook my head. Imagine that. Both Matt and Scott still hated each other. Obviously the only one who'd grown up was me.

Men!