Chapter 2

We pull into Randover High. Same school, same people. What can go wrong?

I take a deep breath as I park the car. "Jerbear, I know you're nervous, but remover that your big sister is here if you need her."

"I'm not nervous at all. I'm pumped!" He can barely finish his sentence as he runs to the entrance. Meanwhile, I'm banging my head against the steering wheel when I get a knock on my window. I jumped up and see Mack-my best friend since diapers.

I step out of the car and hug him. It's been too long. "Mack, I missed you so much! How was space camp?" I ask. I really did miss him.

"It was very...out of this world." We both laugh and walk into the building. Today will be a good day. I hear the first bell ring and make my way to homeroom.

I walk into room B22 to find Mr. Rondyke- my 9th grade health teacher. He's always been a little predatory. You're 17 now Dalia. You can handle some dick teacher.

"Good morning Ms. Abernathy." I wince when he speaks.

"Morning" I say dryly. I find an open seat near the back of the classroom. Perfect. I don't like being seen.

I listen to Katy Perry as I try to prepare myself for the rest of the day. I start thinking about Emily. She loved Katy Perry. I remember one time in middle school when she and I went to a Katy concert. It was amazing! We thought that night would last forever. I was foolish then. Nothing lasts forever.

"Ms. Abernathy." I'm interrupted as RonDICK places his hand on my shoulder. I take out my earbuds and ready myself for his question. "Did you have a nice summer" He leans in. I feel his breath run down my neck. It's hard. He smells like cigarettes and coffee. I just want him away from me.

"Boring as always" I say with little emotion. He chuckles.

"You should live a little Ms. Abernathy. Wild girls are a weakness of mine." CAN ANYONE ELSE HEAR THIS? I guess not.

Homeroom is over and I travel to my other periods. I bump into Jeremy a couple of times and he's already made friends. Good for him.

I meet Mack outside for lunch. I packed a jello cup.

"So how's your first day going Vi?" He asks.

"You know I hate it when you call me Vi! Vidalia is dumb and I don't want any reminder of the V or the I in my name." My parents were sort of assholes with the whole naming thing.

"Whatever you say...Vi." He giggles to himself. "Are you ready for Ms. Hawthorne? I heard she has a new T.A."

"Ugh, science. I don't think I'll ever be ready for that. At least we're in there together."

"We'll always be together, Dalia." He stares at me. His warm brown eyes remind me of pools of chocolate. His hair is so curly and fluffy. He's such a great friend.

Lunch ends and we walk into the Science lab. I can already feel my energy drain as I see Ms. Hawthorne walk through the door.

"Goodmorning class. I hope all of you are ready to learn. I feel all of us will have great chemistry." She's the only one laughing. I sort of feel bad. Sort of.

"Before we begin our lesson, I'd like to introduce you to my new Teacher's Assistant, Mr. Luca." I look up at him. I gulp at the sight. His hair is long but not too long, he's wearing a V-neck shirt and I can make out the outline of his muscles. He has tattooes all down his arms and one on his neck.

"Dalia, you okay?" Mack asks.

"Yep, totally." I look down. Oh boy, I think I've got a crush.