Chapter 1

"Honey, wake up!" My mom calls from downstairs. I awaken to the smell of pancakes and hm...bacon? First day of Senior Year! Woohoo. I give my eyes time to adjust to the light shining from my window. My dad's an architect, he built these giant bay windows in my bedroom. They're beautiful, but blinding.

I step out of bed and check the time. 7:03 in just 57 minutes I'll be back at school. I just don't know if I'm ready.

"Honey?" My mom tells again.

"Coming" I say, annoyed. I find a scrunchy on my dresser and pull my brunette hair into a messy bun. I go to the bathroom, brush my teeth, and put on a striped tank top and jeans. I complete this "look" with a pair of dirty vans that I found in my closet. I know, I know. I should care more about my appearance. I'm just not like other girls, I guess.

I make my way downstairs, where the table is already set. My mom, dad, and brother sit talking about how exciting this year will be. My brother, Jeremy, is going to 9th grade. Which means I'm stuck babysitting him. Lucky me! I sit at my usual seat near my dad and I notice an extra plate set. "Mom?" I say as I dart my eyes to the empty chair.

"Oh honey, I forgot." She smiles awkwardly. This isn't the first time she's set the table for Emily since she died.

"I know you miss her mom. We all do. But, we have to move on." An awkward silence falls upon the breakfast table. Mom's bright green eyes start to water. Her eyes are so beautiful. I'm glad I inherited them. I wish she wasn't so sad.

"Well" Jeremy interrupts, "Dalia, we have to go"

"Right." I kiss mom and dad, grab the keys to my 2007 Toyota, and prepare myself for the start of a hopefully normal year.

———————————-
Author's note

Hope you enjoy. There is a LOT in store for Dalia. Be sure to vote and comment and share!!!