03

Omera

The next day the elevator is still out of order so I had to take the stairs again. Emma let me know that the elevators would probably get fixed by next week. I was cautious going up the stairs just so I wouldn't bump into anyone this time.

"Good morning, Omera." I hear people chirp at me as I walk past them. I only offer them smiles, feeling a little awkward about the attention I've been getting.

I finally make it to my desk and see a shiny black rectangular object with a note on it.

My phone.

I grab my phone and take the little note off it, I'm hesitant to read it because I already know who it's from. I look around to look for some type of distraction but I realize I don't really want to talk to anyone here. I bite my lip and finally decide to lay my eyes on it.

The only thing on the note is a phone number, I crumble up the paper and throw it in the trash bin. I don't want to talk to him and he's dumb for assuming that I did.

"Omera, Mr. Adams is asking for you," Ryan's assistant comes up to me giving me a nod. Just as I grab my phone I see the janitor emptying garbage bins, I take a quick peak at mine.

"I'll just be there in a second." I tell Ryan's secretary who nods twice before walking off, once he's out of sight I take a look around to see if anyone is watching me. No one seems to be paying attention to me so I quickly look in my trash bin for the note. Once I find it, I shove it in my pocket and head for Ryan's office.

-

I knock twice before entering, Ryan is talking to a group of three people but once he sees me he drops whatever conversation he was having.

"Everyone I would like you to meet my beautiful fiancé, Omera." He introduces me with a huge smile, I couldn't help but smile at the introduction and the utter admiration in Ryan's eyes.

"Ryan, who are all these-" I stop my sentence when I lay eyes on a familiar face, her green eyes focus on me and I can't help but let my smile drop.

"They're only the guests of honor at our engagement party this weekend. This is my brother, Eddy," he introduces the man who is slightly taller than Ryan and looks less clean cut. I smile and shake his hand but he seems to zone out on me, he shakes his head quickly but Ryan doesn't seem to notice.

"Nice to meet you," I say to him but he doesn't reply, only offers me a smile. I still keep an eye on the pair of green eyes next to Eddy.

Ryan introduces me to his old roommate, Jack, who politely greets me. We finally turn to the girl standing with an expressionless face and I could tell we both don't know if we should acknowledge the fact we already know each other.

Ryan turns to her and says, "And this is my family friend, Tia."

I decided to pretend I don't know her, "Nice to meet you, I'm Omera,"

She looks at my hand and suddenly looks very annoyed, did she really keep a grudge against me all these years? The little high school rivalry we had didn't die after all.

I remember when I first met her, we were both at boarding school crushing on Dan, who was our teacher at the time. She really didn't like me when she found out about he and I, she ending up trying to ruin my life which didn't work in my opinion.

"Oh, so this is Mera? I didn't know that was just a nickname," she laughs as she looks at Ryan. She forces a smile as she shakes my hand, I give her a tight smile as well and turn to Ryan.

"Yup, this is the love of my life." Ryan declares, the two men smile at the sight of us two but Tia just bites her lips and checks her watch.

"Well, I look forward to seeing you all next weekend," I try to plan my exit from the tense situation but Ryan grabs my hand.

"Actually, I was wondering if you wanted to go to dinner with all of us in about an hour," he says as he checks his watch.

I look at everyone and shrug, "Sounds good, see you in an hour, babe."

"I love you," he says as he kisses me, I feel Tia staring intensely at us and I try to really get out of there.

"I love you too."

-

I decided to head to Ryan's house to change and freshen up for the dinner. Once I finished getting ready I wait for Ryan to pick me up.

I stare at the note with Dan's number and try to think why I even picked it up. should I contact him just to see what he wants? I don't know if I could handle seeing him again. I fold the note and shove it in my pocket.

A car pulls up in the driveway and I grab my purse and walk to the front door, once I open it I see a familiar face.

"Remember me?" Tia asks with a bit of annoyance. She still has her short light brown hair but seems to have grown out of her phase of dressing like me but it seems the insecurity is still there.

"Sadly," I groan as I look at her.

"You know I would be happy to see you if the circumstances were different." She admits, I furrow my eyebrows at her statement, what was that supposed to mean?

"What's wrong with the circumstances?" I question.

She sighs and kind of rolls her eyes, "Don't worry about it, just glad to see you stopped sleeping with your teachers."

"You mean the one you wanted but didn't want you?" I counter her statement, I can tell the statement bothers her.

"You know, I kinda imagined you to be more mature and apologize for all that but you're still the same childish girl." She says as she points her finger at me.

"Tia, I tried to be mature and start off on a new slate but you came at me. I have nothing to apologize for and you know it, just leave the past alone." I try to reason with her but she it seems she's set on not liking me.

"I still don't like you, I don't think I ever will and I can't just pretend like everything is okay. You ruined my life," she accuses me but all I hear coming from her is nonsense.

"Are you serious? You were the one telling everyone in high school that I sleep with my teachers and have trains ran on me. You're the one who tried to humiliate me after I apologized and tried to make amends, did you forget all of that?" I vent out the emotions and hard feelings I have against her from the hell she put me through.

"Aren't you the one who gave me a black eye? Aren't you the one who stole the man I loved? You embarrassed me, took away my confidence, made me feel like a total loser," She admits to me, she seems a bit torn up by all that but I see through the nonsense.

"Tia, I didn't steal him and you know that," I point out and she rolls her eyes.

"Whatever. Just know that Ryan is one of my closest friends and I refuse to let him get married to someone like you. He deserves better," she tells me as she points at me with anger.

"The last time you tried to ruin my life, it didn't work so save your energy," I warn her, "I'll tell Ryan to pick me up so no worries. See you at dinner." I wave as I shut the door.

A/N:

I know it's only been like 12 hours but I just wanted to update again.

-Chloe