𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦

ʀɪʟᴇʏ

Lucas.

He's the sweetest guy I've ever met. Well, besides Farkle, but we're just friends.

He makes me feel like the only person in the world, and I never thought that I could feel this way before. I told Maya that I was happy with him, but honestly, I wasn't 100% sure if I really was. I really think that our relationship could become something beautiful once we get used to each other. Things are sort of awkward, but I think it's because we don't know each other that well yet.

Except ever since I met him, Maya's been acting really weird. It's like she can't look at me anymore. Every smile seems so forced and I just want her to be genuinely happy. I decided to leave her alone for a few days, thinking that I'm the problem. 

Not talking to her was awful. The whole time I was listening to Lucas's flirty comments that didn't affect me as much as I hoped they did. They were kind of getting on my nerves, to be honest. Maybe it was because Maya was stuck on my mind.

All I want right now is to see Maya. My best friend since she crawled through my window when we were literal fetuses. Last night when I sat next to her on the bench was strange. It felt different. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really know what it was.

But here I am, sitting through a shitty movie with Lucas. 

As soon as the movie is over, I tell him that my mom wants me home. That was a complete lie, though. He nods and kisses my cheek. I smile and walk outside of the theater, making my way to Maya's house. She gave me a key a while ago so I could just slip in whenever I wanted. 

I open the front door and see her lazily sitting on the couch, eating ice cream with a blanket over her.

She looks up with her mouth full of ice cream. "Riley?"

I grin and shut the door. "Hey."

I sit next to her and look into her weary, sleep-deprived eyes. "Have you slept?"

She slowly shakes her head and scoops up some ice cream. "Nope. Just eating TV and watching ice cream."

"Really? Maya, you gotta get sleep. That's not good for you!"

She stifles a laugh and I sigh. "I'm serious! Why are you laughing?"

"No reason," she coughs out. "Why are you here, Riley?"

I open my mouth to say something, but I literally don't know what I was even planning to say. She notices my confusion and smiles. "Okay..."

"Sorry, I don't know. Can we just hang out? I'm getting a little bored."

"Of what? Lucas?" she quickly asks.

"Yeah, it's been so long since we've genuinely hung out. Come on! Just like old times."

"It's been a week, Riles," she rolls her eyes and scrolls through Netflix.

"Really? It feels like forever," I frown and pull the blanket over me.

She laughs and finds a movie that we agree on. As she presses play, I lean my head against her shoulder. I always do that, but today it felt different. A better kind of different. I push the thought away and lightly stroke her hand.

"Riles?"

"Hm?"

"What are you doing?"

I immediately stop and my eyes widen. "Sorry."

"Wait, no," she quickly says. "Don't stop."

I furrow my eyebrows and continue caressing the back of her soft hands. Halfway into the movie, I lift my head and look into her eyes.