He turned back to Paul and answered with a roll of his eyes, making a slashing motion across his neck and pointing to his workbooks with a sigh.

The younger boy chuckled at what he meant, pointing his fingers to his head in a gun motion and making a "doosh!" noise. John giggled as he rested his chin on his hand, thinking for the thousandth time that Paul was just so fucking cute.

"Get a room, you two!" George exclaimed out of nowhere, and they all dissolved into laughter at that.

"Whatever." The raven-haired boy rolled his eyes. 

"Macca? Can you help me with me notes? I'm really shit at algebra." John grinned sheepishly, heart leaping with joy when he eagerly got to his feet and swapped places with George. He decided to take a bit of a risk and shuffled closer until their sides were touching, and he couldn't help but grin even wider when Paul responded with a shy smile. 

"Okay, so- we're mainly just revisiting how to solve x problems.." 

When they went back to school that next week, the group was in relatively high spirits. It was a nippy, frigid day as usual, although there was no rain; ivory white clouds blanketed the sky low to the ground, shrouding the buildings in the distance in mist. Everyone's clothes had begun to change up a bit - more scarves and gloves were seen, bigger coats, and usually an umbrella that most people took in case. You never knew in Liverpool. John continually rubbed his hands together, also pulling the sleeves of his jumper over them in order to warm them up. His fingertips had gone a rosy pink.
Paul had lent him his scarf that morning as the four friends continued their usual routine of walking to school together, and the ebony-haired boy was wearing a thick dark coat to combat the harsh weather. His nose and cheeks has flushed pink like the rest of theirs had, too, and John was tempted again to kiss him. He would manage to keep his patience, though, until they'd have a moment to themselves. George was chattering to Ringo about something, and John could not help but find the looks that they sent each other sweet, albeit frustrating since they still hadn't done anything about their obviously mutual feelings. Though he was glad that everyone seemed in a good mood that Monday morning.

But it seemed that things wouldn't be going their way for much longer. 

When they entered the school building and made their way through the hallways to their lockers, they were greeted with the sight of a certain group of people that he never wanted to see again standing right in front of John's locker. They really had it out for them ever since John left the group, didn't they? It wasn't like they weren't picking on Paul or George already before all that. 

"Shit, here comes trouble." Ringo groaned, pinching his forehead with a grimace. 

Before the other three could say anything in response, Kevin - always the ringleader - spotted them and began sauntering his way over, shit-eating smirk plastered all over his stupid face. John noticed that Stu was among the group, looking distressed and slightly pissed off. 

"Well well, if it isn't the hot new couple!" He sneered as he shoved both Paul and John at the same time, causing them to stumble slightly before catching their footing. There was such venom laced in his words that it sent an ugly, horrible feeling of fear surging in the depths of his chest.

"The fuck you want, mate?" John managed to keep the fear from his voice, and he glared down the older boy from myopic eyes.