➽ 13. Tears Shed

Quinn was dreaming

Quinn was dreaming.

She knew that much.

She saw Maddie, in a bright place that wasn't Auradon.

Maddie lay in her bed, her pillow was stained in tears, her pillow was covered in her mascara. Her wrists were covered in fresh cuts. She felt hopeless.

Quinn could somehow hear her thoughts. How? She had no idea. But unlike when Maddie came to the Isle. She couldn't see her.

Of course Carlos would side with Jane instead of with her.

Of course he'd blame her for everything. He called her jealous. She wasn't. It was completely obvious he wanted to go to Cotillion with Jane, he didn't need to make excuses for himself.

Poor little Maddie. Quinn scoffed.

Jane was just a friend apparently. Just a friend. She was jealous of her apparently.

She wasn't jealous of Jane. Jane was one of her longest friends. Carlos could say she was jealous all she wanted, but she was afraid of losing him.

She was afraid of everyone leaving her. She'd had nightmares where people left her because of her insanity. She was too crazy for their taste. They'd finally see her for who she was. They'd know who her mother was. That was what she was afraid of the most.

Maddie stared up at the ceiling, seeing her home decorated in.

She looked up at the ceiling, looking at the paintings of places from her home. Her house she shared with her father. The rabbit hole that led there. The abandoned Queen of Hearts castle, all of it reminded her of home. All of it reminded her of who she was and who she would always be. She wanted to go there so badly.

Maddie didn't care that her mascara had stained her pillow, she didn't care, she didn't care about anything.

There was nothing to care about. She lost Carlos. It didn't really matter anymore.

She'd given up her heart to someone for the first time in her life, just to have it broken. She knew it had been a mistake to fall in love, bad things always happened. She didn't know why she thought she was special and could run away from the problem.

Yes! Quinn said. Now you know how I feel.

Her heart was broken. It needed to accept what her mind already had. She didn't need a boy to make her happy.

She'd seen this coming, she knew how the stories went. But her heart hadn't gotten the message. She'd let someone in and it had destroyed her. She didn't feel anything, she just felt numb.

Quinn had once said that the daughter of Queen of Hearts didn't fall in love, they broke hearts. Now that Maddie knew what it was like to have her heart broken, she didn't want to see anyone else have to cope with it. She didn't want to be the cause of it either. It didn't feel right.

Thanks for thinking of me. Quinn muttered, though Maddie didn't hear her.

Another reason why she could never be like her mother.

How pathetic.

Having a broken heart was the worst she had ever felt, and she'd felt pretty terrible things. Nobody could see her pain, but it was there, it was eating her alive.

If Carlos wanted her he would have to fight for her. She didn't have to search for something that wasn't there. She didn't have to fight anymore to get a spot in his heart. He'd have to fight to win hers back. That would be extremely hard.

He'd made her cry so many tears, he'd been the one who could make her laugh, he made her believe love was real, now he'd broken heart heart.

She didn't know if it could ever be the same. She couldn't go back to yesterday, she was a different person then. She learned that from her Aunt Alice. Though like usual she'd forgotten about it until much later, when it actually applied to her life.

She'd come someone her heart, now it was in pieces. She didn't know if they'd ever go back together.

Maddie tried to clear her mind, though her thoughts kept drifting back to Carlos. She wanted to forget about what he put her through. But no matter what she did, she couldn't stop thinking about him. Thinking about how they could make things work.

She didn't want it to work. Her heart wasn't ready to be broken again.

All her thoughts of him made her cry even harder. She was blinded by her tears as she cut deeper into her flesh. She wiped it with her rag, before she threw her knife at the wall, watching it embed itself there.

It made her happy to say it stay there.

Maddie tried collecting herself, taking a deep breath. She placed a smile on her face to stop the tears from falling. She headed out the door where she saw a flash of blonde, Mal, running to her room.

Maddie ventured after her. Mal had left her door wide open, tears falling down her face.

"I don't belong here." Mal said, tears falling.

"Me neither." Maddie said, looking down at the floor. Mal jumped, before sighing.

"Boys trouble?" Mal asked.

"Yeah." Maddie said. "You?"

"Yup." Mal said. "Boys are so annoying and stupid and rude. They don't understand us."

"Agreed." Maddie said.

Maybe you're more like your mom than you think.

"Okay. Okay. Okay." Mal said, sticking a pencil into her mother's cage, giving her a way to breathe. "Let's blow this popsicle stand."

Maddie and Mal shared a look.

"Yeah?" Maddie said.

"Yeah." Mal said. She flicked her wrist, Channing Maddie's outfit to something more suitable for the Isle. It wasn't much of a change. She wore red and black leather outfit, not far from what she wore on the daily. She led them outside where her bike sat waiting for them.

"Noble steed, proud and fair, you shall take me anywhere." Mal chanted.

"Okay. Whew.Please work." Mal prayed, as the bike made its way across the ocean. "Yes!"

Mal first bumped the air as Maddie gripped tighter onto her jacket.

They made their way through the barrier, jumping back slightly.

"Whoa, what?"Mal muttered.

"Hey!" People called as the bike zoomed past them. "Hey, hey, hey! Watch it!"

Mal threw a rock at the no flying rocks sign as Maddie and Mal made their way up the stairs to the VKs old hideout.

Quinn woke up, a grin on her face. Maddie was on the Isle. It was her time for action.