➸ 12. Talking Dog and an argument

They dined with Aladdin and Jasmine

"I see you reading over my shoulder." Carlos said to Dude, ruffling his fur.

Six months ago, no one thought...the relationship from the wrong side
of the bridge would last.Mal must be counting the days until the Royal Cotillion, when she will officially become a Lady of the Court...

Mal and Maddie burst through the door, shutting it as the reporters called from the other side. Mal began pacing, breathing heavily as her eyes glowed green. Maddie sighed, running her fingers through her hair.

"Whoa. Easy, girl," Carlos said, looking up from his laptop before shutting it when he saw Maddie.
.
"What?" Mal said, pointing a finger at Carlos, stopping her pacing. "You think this is so easy?! You don't have people taking a photo of you every single time you open your mouth to say boo! I mean, it's not that I could even say, boo but, you know what I--."

"I'm sorry." Carlos said, his eyes widening slightly.

"Carlos, don't you ever miss screaming at people and just making them run away from you?" Mal asked, almost hopefully like she thought about this on the daily, which Maddie didn't doubt.

"You're thinking of my mother, and I was usually on the other end of that.So, not really.No.Oh, hey! Did you bring it?" Carlos said. What was it? Maddie was curious now, but she made it seem like she wasn't sitting next to Dude patting him on the head. Carlos and Mal paused their exchange when the son of Cinderella and Prince Charming tiptoed in.

"Hi." Chad said, waving at them. "Just came to use your 3D printer. Won't be a sec."

"How'd you get a key to my room?" Carlos asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Oh, I printed it off last time I was in here. Uh...you guys were sleeping. Look, I just--.Your printer's so much better than mine, and you install these hacks and everything runs so much smoother than mine and--." Chad stammered out. Maddie raised an eyebrow.

"How many times have you come in here?" Maddie asked. "That seems pretty weird Chad. And at night? That's even weirder."

Chad scoffed at Maddie, rolling his eyes,

"Out! Now." Carlos said, pointing at Chad and then to the door.

"Fine. Fine." Chad said, holding his hands up and backing towards the door.

"Chad!" Carlos called.

"What? Hmm?" Chad said, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Leave the key." Carlos said, as Chad placed the key on the stand, leaving the room. Carlos turned to Mal. "Mal?"

"Hmm?" Mal hummed, lost in thought.

"My potion?" Carlos said.

"What potion?" Maddie asked, craning her neck to see over Carlos' shoulder. "Why would you need one?"

"Hmm. Yeah. Um.." Mal said, snapping out of her daze.

So, this thing will make me say what I really feel to Maddie?" Carlos asked in a whisper, though Maddie pretended not to hear.

"Yeah. I mean, this is a truth gummy, so take it or leave it." Mal replied, tilting her head to the side.

"Perfect." Carlos said, reaching out for the gummy. How a gummy could help him. Maddie had no idea,

"Hold on, though." Mal said, pulling her arm back, talking quickly as if somebody were going to stop her. "Are you sure that you want to be taking this? Because this is gonna make you say the truth all the time, no matter what, and the only reason that I'm asking is because I know that if I took this right now, I would get myself sent back to the Isle. Which, it's not that that sounds super unappealing, but, you know..."

Not unappealing.. that was a warning sign. Maddie had to talk to her later.

"Yeah. I'll take my chances, I guess." Carlos said. Mal was about to hand it to him, though Dude tugged on her leg, jumping up and eating the gummy.

"Okay. Ohh! Bad dog!" Mal said, in shock.

"Man, that thing was nasty! And you-- you just gotta man up. And while you're at it, scratch my butt." Dude said. Mal, Maddie and Carlos shared looks of shock, looking at the dog as if he were possessed, which he was.

"You heard him. Scratch his butt." Mal said, backing away slowly before heading out the door.

"Mal.You're just gonna leave me with him?" Carlos called with a sigh, looking at Dude.

"Come on.You scratch your own all the time." Dude whined.

Maddie stared at Dude with eyes wide.

"There's a talking dog." Maddie said.

"Yes." Carlos said, also in shock.

"Why is it talking?" Maddie said. "Dogs aren't supposed to do that. What is this?"

"Come on." Dude said, sitting on Maddie's lap. "Can you scratch my ears at least?"

Maddie sighed, scratching his ear absentmindedly.

"Hey Maddie?" Carlos asked, as the brunette looked at him.

"Yes?" Maddie said, though it came out more harshly than she wanted it to.

"Where have you been?" Carlos asked. "You've been avoiding me, though I have no idea why. I didn't do anything wrong."

"Why do you care where I am Carlos?" Maddie asked, tears brimming in her eyes. "When you're so fixated on her?"

"Jane is just a friend Maddie." Carlos said. "I never meant to hurt you."

"Just a friend?" Maddie exclaimed. "Just. A. Friend. If she was just your friend, you wouldn't be trying to ask her to Cotillion!"

"I'm not trying to ask her to Cotillion!" Carlos said, his voice rising. "What got that in your head?"

Dude whimpered, rubbing his head against Maddie's leg, trying to calm her down. The tension in the air was rising and the anger in the room was rising.

"What made you assume I was talking about Jane?" Maddie challenged. "All I said was her. I didn't say who I was talking about."

"I can see the way you look at her." Carlos said. "You always look like you want to murder her when she talks to me. You're jealous for some unknown reason."

"Why would I try to kill her?" Maddie asked. "That isn't me. That isn't who I am. I'm not jealous."

"Maybe you're more like your mother than you thought." Carlos said, before realizing what he said. "Maddie I didn't mean that!"

Maddie stormed out of the room, somehow making it to her own dorm room. She shut the door behind her as she flopped onto her bed, dissolving into tears,