Chapter 13

I sit in my new room staring at my hands. I look around my new room.  The walls are made of wood from the giant tree the castle is located in. I’m back on land but it’s so miserable. I feel something in my jacket pocket move and I remember that I have Steve with me. I smile as I take him out of my pocket, “I guess it’s just you and me in this place.” I say to him. I sigh and walk out to the balcony in my room. I stare out at the kingdom. It was a beautiful kingdom, full of life and joy. I’m so glad that I didn’t kill the king and set chaos to this innocent kingdom with a horrible ruler. I turn and look at my backpack on my bed and walk over to it. If I was smart I would’ve put my cell phone in the bag. I put Steve on the bed and search the bag when my hand finds it. I pull it out and see the texts from Nina and Sam, nothing from the boys. My heart drops when I realize that Gabe hasn’t tried to contact me. I probably hurt him. I mean we were happy and I was his and he was mine. I curl up into a ball on my bed and Steve comes and lies next to me as if to comfort me. I love him and that’s why I did this. This was for the best. I cry silently in my bed until someone knocks on my door. I wipe my tears and hide my phone. I hold Steve in my lap, “What do you want?” I ask.

“Dinner is ready.”

“I don’t want to eat!” I say and the door opens. I see it’s just my assigned butler.

“You must eat. It’s unhealthy not to. You’ve already skipped every meal today; I won’t allow you to starve yourself.”

“I don’t want to eat with them, they’re all selfish people. They don’t deserve their power if they feel it is acceptable to attack another kingdom over a girl who is already supposed to be married. If they are willing to kill people to get their way, that’s not right.”

“I’m sorry miss but didn’t you have a chance to kill the king?”

I swallow, “Yes, but I couldn’t. Because I knew that doing so would be the most selfish act. I’d be practically murdering everyone in this kingdom. I can’t do that.”

He stands in my door way silently for a moment, “I will escort you to dinner, come with me.”

I stand and walk with him to the dining hall. At the table sat all three boys, the king, and the queen. I sat as far as I could get from everyone else. While we waited for the food to be served we had a conversation and all they wanted to know was about me.

“Were you crying dear? What is the issue?” Asked the queen who was very polite.

“Yeah, I just miss the Water Kingdom. I really had a connection with everything there.”

“Do you not like it here?” She asked slightly concerned.

“Oh no, it’s very beautiful here, the plants are lovely and it’s very nice to live in a tree, it’s just that I still can’t get used to the fact that I was being fought over by two different boys.” I look at Ethan who just gives me an innocent smile. He is by far the nicest out of all the men in this building other than my butler.  When the food is served everyone digs in except me. I just take a few bites and then poke around at my food. The family stares at me.

“Are you okay dear? You haven’t eaten all day and you’ve only taken a few bites of your food.” The queen asks.

“It’s very nice of you to be worried about me but honestly I’m only here because I didn’t want any more lives to be lost because of your idiot husband.” I stand up and then push my chair in before thanking the chef and going back to my room. I hold Steve in my hands when someone else knocks on my door. “I’m sorry but I’m not in the mood, can you come back when I’m happy.”

The door opens and Ethan comes in, “Actually no. I want to make you happy.”

I turn my back to him and pet Steve, “Unless you can give me my life back then you can’t make me happy.”