Normalcy

Having a high status in the guard, meant Zara held more responsibilities

Having a high status in the guard, meant Zara held more responsibilities. One being, she was allowed up top when certain missions were being done. And certain missions included, keeping an eye on the Ark wreckage and the people from it.

The day was only suppose to be a simple recon mission. Take a few pictures and get back. Until everything went wrong.

Their cover had been blown when one of her men got spotted. The guards from the Ark were quick to fire their weapons hitting her man. Her subordinate acted before she could.

Sgt. Langston was one of the sergeants under her authority. As soon as the first man went down, he aided him whole Zara kept an eye out for anyone headed their way.

They needed to get back before they were spotted by anyone else. The two using everything they had to bring their fellow guard back for help. It wasn't till they reached the intake door that they noticed his wound was far more severe than before.

Langston didn't hesitate to take off his suit evidently exposing himself to the air. Zara rushed to the door to get further help not wanting Langston to exposed for too long. But a minute outside can have an extreme effect on their bodies.

Once they were brought in, the two were taken for treatment, while Zara was taken to be looked at. The two others were the only ones with extensive damage. When her examination was done she had gone to the president to give him a report of what had happened.

"What happened up there?" He asked once she entered the room.

"Sir, it was a minor complication." She spoke in an even tone.

"A minor complication. One of our guards is dead, another seriously exposed." Dante stated back not happy with the outcomes of this mission.

"I understand but our cover wasn't fully blown. We were trying to keep a low profile, which didn't go as planned but even when we were spotted, we got back to this mountain." Zara tried to reason but the president wasn't having it. "Every mission is dangerous, you know this. Every one of the guards know the risk and are willing to go outside for the rest of us."

Dante didn't say a word but knew that she was right. He didn't normally allow many guards to be so outspoken but with Zara it was expected. In fact, she was one of the only ones to get away with it, the other being his own son up to a point.

But he knew what she was pointing out. He didn't necessarily like sending his guards outside the mountain but it was necessary. Just like it was necessary for them to use Grounder blood. Casualties and exposures were to be expected in extreme circumstances.

He offered no other words but dismissed her. She was quickly encountered by Keenan with Maya following quickly after. Without going into full detail, she simply told them that it was an exposure. But once Keenan had gone, Maya pressed for more details.